Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to close gap between top of brick wall and carport roof?

Jeffersm963
Finding My Feet

How to close gap between top of brick wall and carport roof?

Hi

I want to enclose my carport and have pretty much figured out how to do it except for the section in the photographs. In one section there is about a foot gap between the top of the wall and the roof of the carport. Not sure how I should close this either using flashing or timber, any suggestions

IMG_0952.jpeg

IMG_0951.jpeg

Thanks. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Close gap between top of Brick wall and carport roof

Hello @Jeffersm963 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about closing the gap in your garage.

I suggest building a timber frame from H3 framing timber and covering it with Marine Plywood or FC sheeting. In this manner all you need to seal are the edges of the cover frame. I propose anchoring the frame with screws or gluing it to the bricks top surface.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Jeffersm963 

:smile: @EricL took the words straight out of my mouth.

Here is the project I did to line my garage. Garage lining for stud walls stage 1 The stud walls are what I want to show how to make.

For your garage I was going to suggest smaller versions of the stud walls to fit on top of the brickwork and then to use some hardi-plank style to protect the inside from the weather.

Dave

Thank you both so much. That is awesome advice. What sort of bolts should i use to fix the wood to the brick?

I am also going to have a problem with sloping floors although i don’t have pillars, just straight walls so was going to stick the plasterboard direct onto the brick wall with gyprock cement, dab.

What is the advantages of framing wood walls on the brick? Insulation?

Thanks again

Jeff

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Jeffersm963 

These are the type of masonary anchors I used Ramset 7.5 x 100mm Galvanised Masonry Anchor Screw - 50 Box  You just have to make sure the hole you drill is adeeper then needed and also empty of dust otherwise you can run into issues.

The garage retrofit project I posted had the same issue with sloping floors, The frames I built helped accomodate this.

Framing walls over glueing plasterboard to the brick. I did a little of fastening to the brickwork as I was trying to save space. The majority was attached to a frame.

Reasons why I did \

- Brick surfaces may appear to be flat but are not. I was surprised at this, really was but shouldnt have been.

-The framing gives a guarenteed flat surface that wont move or crack so easily.

-The cavity behind the frame made it a lot easier to run power and network cables plus a new gas point for me.

-You mention insulation and yeah that would be nice to have especially with an outsiode wall the sun heats up.

-Framing will keep the plaster dry from moisture that may be absorb straight through the brickwork.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jeffersm963 

That is all spot-on recommendations from @Dave-1. Totally agree with all the suggestions made, you may loose a bit of space on the brick wall, but all the advantages you gain from it is worth it.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Once again thank you so much gentlemen. I will start s new post for my next question seeking advice. 😉

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects