Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clad an old shed?

tom138
Having an Impact

How to clad an old shed?

Hi there, 

Just planning a new project here. I have this poor old shed on my property and I am looking at re-cladding it. I am getting an asbestos removal company to strip the old fibro sheets first, of course.

2BD655D4-E1BB-44BD-866D-74D58050195C.jpeg

73C62041-2FC7-443B-AAEC-CFF397B7A2EE.jpeg

The framing looks ok with studs 60cm apart:

7B23DA12-33BF-4B6E-87AF-8ED4E17C4D87.jpeg

E0169A7B-9D57-4B48-9552-2D7836FE2F73.jpeg

275CA0B3-85B3-4FB9-933C-EBDD7B107DEE.jpeg

What would be the most cost-efficient and easiest install DIY cladding for the shed?  

Thanks, 

Tom

 

Re: How to clad an old shed?

Thanks @MitchellMc.

Would you be able to recommend what screws to use for the brackets ? I was going to nail them but I find it very difficult especially these top ones upside down.

thanks,

Tom 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tom138,

Standard timber screws would be fine and I'd recommend you pre-drill their holes. The alternative would be to pre-drill for your nails. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Sorry just to clarify I meant what screws to use for these brackets https://www.bunnings.com.au/carinya-90-x-90-x-65-x-2-5mm-galvanised-reinforcing-brackets-4-pack_p396... discussed earlier in this thread,

Also are these really designed to take a fastener in every hole?

Thanks,

Tom

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sorry, @tom138. I edited my above reply as I realised you mentioned the brackets, not the strapping. Timber screws a fine to use for those. 

I don't believe their intention is for you to use every hole; they've just provided several to suit different purposes. Four screws on each side should be more than enough.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

All good, Thanks @MitchellMc!

Hi @tom138 

My apologies for the late reply. I suggest putting in some diagonal timber bracing near the noggings to fortify the frame. I see that you've cut off part of the long brace. This serves as a stiffener for the wall frame and if part of it is removed you'll get a bit of movement. But once you cover your wall with cladding this will reinforce the wall and movement should be greatly reduced.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hi all,

Apologies for not posting any updates on this for so long. I wanted to post an update when it is finished but these projects just never get 100% finished, do they? There is always the one more thing that needs to be done. And also, more importantly, there is million other jobs that need doing and so I immediately switched focus to other projects.

Anyways here is few pictures:

7062EC9E-6A89-43B3-B62D-7612ABAF646C.jpeg

8A053C6A-5548-43BF-88C4-243CDFC54267.jpeg

67F6B59C-7F7C-4B74-A367-4C11950444BA.jpeg

6EAAFE09-7AC4-4D69-8C79-01778531F779.jpeg

BA163799-8F43-41FE-A3ED-E4316600E62D.jpeg

176DD3E2-094B-44B6-9951-0D088ADAB713.jpeg

569D4992-2BA8-4637-9C19-A9D72B8E2221.jpeg

It was a great project and I learnt a lot - a bit about framing, how to install a window, how to hang a door but I also learnt to use my tools much better (and found an excuse to buy more tools). I really enjoyed this and I am quite pleased with the result.

Also wanted to thank again everyone who helped me here!

Tom

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tom138,

Thanks for getting back to us with the finished project. 

It looks fantastic; you should be very proud of what you've achieved and it's great to hear you learned a lot on the way.

Have you got any plans to fit out the inside with shelving of any kind? I would love to see what you do to store all those new tools of yours.

Keep us posted on all those other projects, it'd be great to see what else you come up with.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @tom138 

:laugh: WooooooHooooo! That has come up so nicely! Impressed with how new it looks from what it was! Do you know how much you have spent updating it? I generally have a rough ongoing figure in my head and also keep the reciepts but never add them up :smile: Now I really want a shed! :smile:

How much time do you spend out there? :smile: It looks like an ideal place to hang out and tinker away. 

And since you mentioned it, what are the other projects you are heading towards? I have a courtyard area/gabion retaining wall and steps/ paving and a spa modification on teh plan for the year/next year. :smile:

Nice work for sure.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects