Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wooden shed?

mikebarker
Having an Impact

How to build a wooden shed?

Hi all, I am about to build a small wooden garden storage shed (3m wide x 2.4m deep) on a gravel base. I have been soaking up tutorials, reading the various excellent posts on this forum and on wooden framing and feel fairly confident about most stages but there are a few grey areas that I would love the community guidance on (and will likely lean on you for tips along the way!).

I previously prepped the ground and laid a gravel pad. The plan is to put 2 x 6 treated joists directly into TuffBlocks as the base of the shed and build on top of that.

So my questions are:

Flooring

1. I am looking at treated yellow tongue STRUCAflor is this suitable or is there a better alternative? Treated plywood looks very expensive but I don't mind paying if it means increased longevity.

2. Silly question, but given the fact an exposed tongue in these boards will be at one edge of the shed. Do you just cut these off or just fill the gap with sealant?

Walls

1. What options do I have for external wooden wall panels? I would like something that looks nicer than particleboard or OSB. Is there an outdoor option of these slotted panels? I guess I could use weatherboards but curious at alternatives.

2. Should I use building wrap?

Roofing

1. What are my options here? Just colourbond sheets? If yes, should I still put a plywood/OSB roof on and apply the colourbond to that or just attach it straight to the rafters? I assume I would have lots of gaps if I attach directly to the rafters.

2. If colourbond is the way to go, I'm curious to know what you use so that you don't just have sharp raw edges and what to use for the apex of a pitched roof?

Fasteners

I'm going to use screws instead of nails for framing (Personal preference, if I had a nailgun it might be different 😄). So I don't want to have to pre-drill or anything. What gauge is best, 12g? or thicker? Something like these Buildex RapidDrive Treated Pine Screws 12g x 75mm?

I think that's all I need to know at the moment, once I have these answers I can make my materials order and get stuck in!

Thanks so much

Re: How to build a wooden shed?

I can't really answer that for you, @mikebarker. Two diluted layers will provide a level of water resistance, which would probably do the job. However, if you want the surfaces fully waterproof, you'd likely have to do a third diluted layer so it's completely opaque. I'd want the sheets to look at least as dark as the joists I coated in the image below.

Mitchell

paint.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc thanks for the example! That's helpful. I think these look pretty good?

IMG_5872.jpgYou can see a slight bit of brown hereYou can see a slight bit of brown hereIMG_5874.jpg

I can do an extra coat if I need to, will just need to grab some more paint as I used nearly all of a litre doing these.

That looks fine to me, @mikebarker.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc @Great!

Do you think I need construction adhesive for the flooring on the joists? In addition to screws. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mikebarker 

It would definitely help putting adhesive on your flooring as it will help keep the panel down and add support to the flooring frame. 

Eric

Good morning chaps! Happy to report I've got the walls and my rafter beam up, rafters and batons next! You'll notice I've also added a spot for a window that I've ordered. 

IMG_6141.jpg

Few questions:

1. I need to remove the bottom plate where the door will go so I can brush any pooling water off the floor. I have been covering it with a tarp but the STRUCTAflor instructions advise against this due to moisture buildup. But I'd like to install something over the edge of the newly exposed floor in the doorway as this will be high traffic, could you advise something to use? I figured some kind of non slip flashing would do but not sure where to start.

2. I think I'm going to go with Colorbond cladding for the walls and roof (Unless you think this is a poor idea). I'm concerned about how to deal with the edges around the doors and windows. What if the peak of the panel lands where the opening edge of a door or window, if that makes sense? Do you put flashing around all edges like that? Also, for the peaks of the gable ends, should I try and get sheets that are tall enough and just cut of the excess, or do I need some zl flashing for the joins between the full panel and the triangular bit?

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 9.24.03 am.png

3. Lastly, do I need the corrugated form filler on all edges of the colourbond that are exposed? Like along near the joists at the bottom? Or do you put flashing on there too?

Thanks!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @mikebarker 

1 - Do you know what your final flooring surface will be? Maybe use a temprorary edge to the doorway until you decide Metal Mate 43.2 x 23mm 1m Aluminium Section Stair Nosing that way you can sweep the water out and also protect the edge. (There are rubber ones as well that would stop water more so)

2 - Id be thinking flashing around the corners and the windows would be the answer to the edges, The Colourbond grouping will have edges for sure.

3 - This question depends on how "weather tight" and bug resistant you wantthe shed to be id say. I like the idea of the filler under the eaves as thats the one you always find things coming inside, as to the bottom, maybe not so much. Are you thinking of lining your walls on the inside? If you are then I probarly wouldnt be worried about the corrogated filler at the bottom.

Dave

It's great to see your progress, @mikebarker, and awesome to see @Dave-1 has jumped on your questions.

Something like this Brutus 1.2m Black Aluminium Stair Tread could also suit the edge of the sheet.

If having the peak on those edges will be an issue, then you can cut your sheets so you start with a trough and work away from the door or window. However, you'll still have to deal with the peaks at the top of the door and the top and bottom of the window.

The foam fill is predominantly used to prevent water from blowing back under the sheets, so it will be used under the ridge capping, and anywhere water could be blown in.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Morning @Dave-1,

1. The final flooring surface is just what it is! Or is that a bad idea? Options? That nosing looks great though.

2. Oh Great! I'm really not looking forward to this part of the build but that has made me feel better about that element.

3. Main thing is keeping it dry but really not a fan of spiders so the less the better! I'll be using sarking so some protection there.

Speaking of the eves, currently I have an overhang on the sides but do I even need it? What is the benefit? I'm wondering if I should just save myself some hassle and shorten the rafters and just leaving enough space between the edge of the wall and the fascia board to fit the colourbond. 

eveseves

No evesNo eves

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @mikebarker 

Floor is good as is, I was thinking more along the lines of "if" you were going to add anything to the floor.

Always, and I mean Always want eaves :smile: It keeps water off the walls, it keeps sun off the walls so lessons the heat of the day beating down on the walls so much. And removes that top of the wall worry about water entry.

European houses and modern homes have been heading the way of no eaves to maximise the floor area. I still think its a loss loss situation but thats an entirely seperate debate :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects