Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach ember guard to 4m roller door?

Steve5
Having an Impact

How to attach ember guard to 4m roller door?

I've got a new shed with 4m wide roller doors with ember guard brushes at the top that aren't long enough.

The ember guard brushes are about 9cm long but the 4m wide door bows when closed so there is a gap of about 2cm.

The shed manufacturer said he doesn't have a source for longer ember guards but I think he's too busy with other jobs to pursue a solution.

I've looked online but haven't found anything so I thought I'd turn to this forum to see anyone had a similar problem.

Any thoughts or out of box ideas appreciated, thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: 4m Roller Door Ember Guard

Hi @Steve5 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of how the ember guard brushes are installed on the roller door frame? I propose using an aluminium flat bar as an extension piece to the back of the ember guard brush. 

However, I'm also thinking that there must be a reason the ember guard brushes are installed with that gap.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Steve5
Having an Impact

Hi Eric,

Photos attached, note the middle of the door bending in at the top when the door is closed.

The metal frame on the bottom of the door keeps it straight when open.

Close up shows gap when the door is closed due to door bowing in the middle.

There's also a 2.7m roller door that doesn't have any problems since the narrower door doesn't flex as much.

The ember guard does have an aluminum flat bar to hold it in place.

Using a wider ember guard aluminum frame would scrape the door.

What do you think about riveting a small piece of angle aluminum in the top rib?

It would need to be small enough not to interfere with rolling up.

The angle part that sticks out would need to be smaller than the width of the roller door ribs.

Since it would be on the inside of the first roll, seems it wouldn't hit anything.

There would be a line of rivet heads which shouldn't be too noticeable.

Steve

Ember guard with open doorEmber guard with open doorEmber guard with closed doorEmber guard with closed doorClose up of gap with closed doorClose up of gap with closed door

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Steve5,

Are the ember guards fixed right on the edge of that galvanised strip? Could they be moved further towards the door? If not, as @EricL mentioned, I'd remove them, install an extension piece of aluminium flat bar, and re-install the ember guards on the aluminium so they are positioned closer to the door. You might need to trim the end bristles where the door is closer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Looks like I could move them about 7.5mm closer but still have 7.5mm gap, but door may rub on metal when moving.

A metal extension would rub when rolling the door up/down.

Regards

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Perhaps you could cut the guard into three separate sections @Steve5. The middle one being shifted in closer to the door to cover the gap. 

Let me mention a couple of our knowledgeable members, @Dave-1 and @Nailbag, to see if they have some nifty ideas.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to attach ember guard to 4m roller door?

Afternoon @Steve5 

mmmm Going through the answers already and the main things I would suggest have been covered.

Does your door roll up? Or does it slide up and across the roof space?

If the door slides up would another ember guard mounted opposite the existing one, on the door itself merge with the existing one, that way stopping embers?

Another thought is the embar guard must be a standard product so something isnt adding up? Do you have a non standard door or was it put in differently?

Re-reading your info "The 4m wide door bows when closed" I wonder if you can put in a strenthening L shaped aluminium bar across the width of the door (behind it) to give the door ridgity so it dosnt bow? (In line with the door panels themselves.) Depends if your door rolls up or if it stretches up over the ceiling type deal.

Dave

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @Steve5 , I would consider installing custom formed/bent colour bond flashing. Then positioned to ensure it doesn't interfere with the roller door. Making a template first out of cardboard will help you work out your dimensions and angles that you can then transfer to a drawing to get bent up. It will be a neat solution that blends within the opening.

Regards, Nailbag

Hi.  I thought about something like that but it would rub on the door when rolling up/down and hit when up.  thanks

Steve5
Having an Impact

Hi Dave,

Door rolls up/down.

First ember guard installed had a bigger gap but they installed another with a wider aluminum base to move it towards the door more.

Shed and roller doors are custom built to size requested which was feasible with shed design but seems design system doesn't take into account everything.

Had thought about adding stiffener - see my earlier posts.  Need to remove roller door, unroll and rivet in place; fun challenge with 4m door.  Stiffener will be inside the roll as the door rolls up so should be ok.  Nice to rivet from outside so only small rivet head shows but implementation might be issue.  Riveting from inside would leave rivet nubs on outside but small and at top so might not be too noticeable.

Thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects