Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add insulation to metal garage roof?

RKN00b
Just Starting Out

How to add insulation to metal garage roof?

Hey there, online peeps and Bunnings crew!

So, I've just moved into this old house, and I'm starting to fix it up bit by bit. But man, oh man, the metal roof in the garage area is killing me! The northern sun is frying me alive, and I feel like a roasted chicken in the shed.

Given that this is not a subject I am particularly knowledgeable in, I need some advice. What's the best insulation to use for a metal roof that's getting way too much sun? I don't know the first thing about brands or specs, so I'm counting on you guys to help me out.

I attached a pic of the inferno roof I'm dealing with.

Plan is to remove sheets, install insulation and reinstall sheets.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

PXL_20230427_071021919.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add insulation to metal garage roof?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RKN00b. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing insulation.

Congratulations on your new home! Insulating your metal roof is an excellent idea, as it can make a significant difference in keeping your garage area cooler during the hot months.

The best insulation for your metal roof depends on various factors, such as your budget, the climate you live in, and the type of metal roof you have. Insulation batts are one of the most popular types of insulation used for metal roofs. They are cost-effective, relatively easy to install, and can be cut to fit in place. However, there would need to be a cavity large enough between the roof sheeting and internal lining to accommodate their thickness.

Insulation panels are another option, but they typically don't offer as high an insulation value as batts. They come in panels that can be easily cut to fit your roof. 

The R-value of an insulation product is the rating of its ability to prevent heat transfer. The higher the R-value, the cooler it will be inside your garage.

I'd recommend you read through this guide on How to use ladders safely and take precautions whilst working on the roof, like investing in a roof harness.

Please let us know if there are any questions you have.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects