Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Colorbond walling as cladding

jamor
Getting Established

Colorbond walling as cladding

Hi there, I have an old stainless steel shed that’s an off colour. I am planning on turning half of the shed into an office space and I wish to update the exterior as well. I was thinking of cladding the existing flat SS with a new, corrugated colorbond sheet in the colour I want. Can this be done? Can you cover existing steel sheet with new steel sheeting like the corrugated sheets? Or are there problems with screwing new steel sheets onto old ones? My other option is to paint the whole shed in a new colour but this seems tedious and I don’t like the current steel sheet type. Thanks in advance

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Colorbond walling as cladding

Hello @jamor 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your shed.

In order to give us a better idea of the condition of your shed, would it be possible for you to post few photos? We can then assess if your current walls are strong enough to hold the Colorbond sheets.

One of the key points when mounting anything on a shed wall is the framework. If the old shed has a steel frame around it and is still in good condition, it might be possible to anchor the new sheets onto it.

We should be able to give you better suggestions once we see your shed walls.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @jamor,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Please let me know if you need a hand sharing some photos of your shed so our members can assist. 

Jason

jamor
Getting Established

CCA9C91D-A49F-4439-AEE0-17BCFC86193A.jpeg

43B297D2-994E-45EB-BF16-A0D448FFE751.jpeg

  

Thanks for replying to the post Jason, images attached. The shed has a part steel frame part timber

jamor
Getting Established

Thanks Eric! Please see my response to Jason below

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jamor 

Thank you for sharing the photos of your shed. The shed panels still look like they are still in very good condition. The shed seems to be supported with a combination of steel and timber framing as you mentioned. Your proposal of putting another Colorbond sheet over your existing wall could possibly work. However, water might get trapped between the sheets and accelerate rust development. I suggest removing the existing sheets and replacing them with new ones.

Another option is to spray paint the Colorbond panels you currently have. It's an easier alternative to disassembling your walls and is a cost-effective solution. Plus, you get to choose the colour you want.

Here are some shed painting discussions that might help:

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

jamor
Getting Established

Thanks Eric, That's really helpful! I reckon i'll go ahead and paint it. Thanks,

Justin

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects