Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to change shed down pipes for small water tank

TheHandySqirrel
Having an Impact

Best way to change shed down pipes for small water tank

Hi guys,
we have a small garden shed with 75mm zinc downpipes. I like to change that setup so that I can join the two downpipes on one end and redirect the water into a small water tank.

Unfortunately Bunnings no longer carries 75mm PVC pipe fittings, and a zinc 90 degree elbow is a steep $45 – I'd need two of those, plus would need to work out how to solder connections. And the only rain harvester I found (I/N: 0276311) is for 90mm PVC pipes.

How could I solve this? Can I join zinc and PVC pipes? What harvester would work for 75mm? Or would I need to remove all and extend to 90mm (which will be overkill for the shed's water collection)?

Thank you!

Re: Best way to change shed down pipes for small water tank

Hi Eric,

I have now installed the pipe and harvester. Instead of the suggested saddle clips I used 20x600mm Make-a-Bracket. Each strip gave me two brackets bringing down the cost to just $1 per bracket. As this is the back of our plot there was no need for a polished look.

Images below. Now I'm just waiting for some rain (which shouldn't take long these days).

The final installation.The final installation.

Detail of a bracket and the outlet where I repurposed an old dishwasher pipe.Detail of a bracket and the outlet where I repurposed an old dishwasher pipe.

That looks fantastic, @TheHandySqirrel! Well done on overcoming a difficult situation and constructing an effective solution.

Many thanks for updating us on your success. I can't wait to see what project you tackle next.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

HI @TheHandySqirrel 

Thank you very much for the update. Your downpipe upgrade looks great and excellent spotting on those 20x600mm Make-a-Bracket. That's an excellent bargain for a bracket. 

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

Rayser
Just Starting Out

Hi @TheHandySqirrel

I have a job similar to your design above.

My joints are firmly in place by pushing them together and I do not get any leaks.

Is it necessary to glue all joints?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Rayser. It's brilliant to have you join us and great to see you jump into the discussion.

In a non-pressurised system like collecting rainwater into tanks, glueing every joint might not be required. However, it's extremely simple and quick to do; not only does it prevent leaks, but it also adds rigidity to the joints. There's no real reason not to do it.

I'm keen to hear all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

Hi @Rayser,

as usual, "it depends". For my drainage installations I have glued all connections as I didn't want to take the risk of one part moving and then dislocating a joint, causing a leak. Over time, things might shift even if they don't look like they'll do now.

In another electrical installation I didn't glue the parts, and in hindsight I think I should have. Although this makes it very hard to alter anything, it would give me peace of mind that there wouldn't be any water ingress potentially causing shorts.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects