Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacement shelf ideas wanted for Pinnacle adjustable shelving unit

Brucey72
Just Starting Out

Replacement shelf ideas wanted for Pinnacle adjustable shelving unit

Hi,

I have bought various metal garage shelving over the years and after a move, most of the mdf shelves have disintergrated.

What could I use as replacements? I am thinking non-structural plywood.

For the Pinnacle 1830 x 1500 x 410mm 5 Tier Adjustable Shelving Unit what size thickness is recommended?

Cheers,

Brucey

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacement shelf ideas wanted for Pinnacle adjustable shelving unit

Hi @Brucey72 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your Pinnacle shelving.

Unfortunately, MDF is not known for its holding power once it gets wet. I suggestion using Ecoply 2400 x 1200 x 12mm Non Structural Plywood as an alternative to MDF. It's more robust than MDF and is a much stiffer product due to its sandwich construction. It can also put up with occasional wetness.

However, I recommend painting the plywood to prevent it from twisting and warping. Unprotected plywood has a tendency to warp and twist when it is exposed to heavy moisture, then followed by long days of hot weather. 

If your current MDF board is only 9mm thick, its ok to use the 12mm thick plywood. It will slightly peak out of the steel shelf frame but will not pop and slide out.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask when working on your plywood panel.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects