Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Will floor levelling compound stick to Dunlop Waterproofing?

Lburton67
Just Starting Out

Will floor levelling compound stick to Dunlop Waterproofing?

Hi everyone,

I am installing a replacement bath and as they are different sizes I now need to apply a floor leveller before installing the replacement bath.   BUT, the floor has previously been waterproofed.    

Can I apply the floor leveller on top of the waterproofing (and then REPROOF)?

Thanks

LB

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Will floor levelling compound stick to Dunlop Waterproofing?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lburton67. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about waterproofing.

Is the waterproofing intact? If so, there's no specific need to re-waterproof. However, you will run into the issue that self-levellers are designed to go over concrete surfaces and not a waterproofing membrane. They need porous concrete and associated primer to adhere correctly. So, according to our manufacturers, you'd need to remove the existing membrane, level the area and then re-waterproof. The issue with that is that you can't just remove a small area of waterproofing and then patch it; it needs to be one homogeneous layer over the entire bathroom floor and up the walls.

I suggest enlisting a qualified waterproofer's services to provide advice on the best way forward, as compromising the current waterproofing could prove to be a costly experience if all the tiles need to come off to repair it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects