Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My laundry reno

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

My laundry reno

Finished.jpg

Sorry it’s taken me longer than expected to get this post up. Back on the Easter long weekend I dedicated my time to a few things around the house, including this laundry reno which is easily my favourite DIY project yet – next up is the kitchen and ensuite :smile:

Out with the old…

To kick things off I obviously started with a design courtesy of Leah (Mrs ProjectPete) and regardless of how simple or difficult it was, it had to be done :smile: Time to rip out old boring old stuff.

splashbackremoved1.jpgsinkremoved.jpgclearedout.jpg

Once it was all out it was time to get started on repainting the walls and repositioning the powerpoints to a) not interfere with the new wall-to-wall splashback, and b) be hidden under the new wall-to-wall benchtop.

Painting – As we planned to install overhead cabinetry we marked out their position to save time, paint and money on painting unnecessary areas of the wall.

Powerpoints – This was a simple case of marking out where the benchtop will be, channelling the wall to the new position and filling the channel to be painted over.

• Install the back and sides of the centre cabinet to get a level for the benchtop position first.
  • Channelling the wall with an angle grinder is super dusty so cover up surrounding areas and vacuum straight away.
  • To make repositioning the cables easier and the refilling easier/smoother, use some PVC or flexible gas piping as shown in the pics.
  • Refill the bulk of the channel with cement and finish it with a smooth spakfilla, sanding it back to finish flush and smooth with the wall.

ppointchannel1.jpgppointchannel2.jpgppointfill.jpg

During the above steps and continuing after I measured out the new benchtop requirements which included the overall length and the cutouts for the new sink. Following that I sanded and stained the benchtop with a total of 3 coats, sanding after the 1st and 2nd. A 4th and final coat was due once fully installed in the laundry.

Cutting to size – I cut the lengths with my new Bosch Circular Saw from good old Bunnings.

Sink cutout – This was a straight forward job with my Ryobi jigsaw.

Sanding – First pass with the sander is key, get it done with some power. Then it’s just a light hand sand between coats.

The join – I hid this as best I could by putting it right in the middle of the benchtop so the sink would cover most of the join. Given the small amount of space to make the join, and to achieve the strength I needed, I used 12.5mm dowel joins.

Staining/sealing - Ensure every square inch of the wood is stained/sealed, including where you make cuts. This is to prevent the wood warping, especially is a moisture-rich room such as a laundry. Thanks for the prompt to include this @Andy_Mann :wink:

benchprep.jpgbenchtopin.jpg

I love woodgrain!

grain1.jpggrain2.jpg

With the benchtop ready for install, it was slotted in and fixed to the brackets before getting started on the subway tile splashback. This video on Workshop from Bunnings was all I needed to install my first splashback.

• Protect the benchtop – the 4th and final coat is done once the splashback is up and the overhead cabinets installed.
  • The only thing I remember doing differently to the video was when grouting. Instead of smearing grout all over the tiles, pushing into the gaps then cleaning…I focused by application of grout to the gaps, pushed/smoothed them and had much less clean up to do.
  • Get that first row right. As long as it’s straight and level, the rest will flow nicely.
  • Cutting tiles – for tiles this small, use an angle grinder and a steady hand to cut to size. Don’t bother with a tile cutter.

sbackprep.jpgsback1.jpgsback2.jpg

With the splashback finished it’s time to install the overhead cabinets then get the sink/plumbing finished off and the doors on the centre cabinet. The last thing to do is fill/sand the join then give the benchtop a final sand and coat.

cabinetsin.jpg

And in with the new…

Sorry for the crappy lighting/photos but I think you get the idea :smile:

final1.jpgfinal4.jpg

before.after.jpg

I hope at least someone gets something out of this and I’m more than happy to answer more questions about specific stages, just thought this gives a pretty good overview.

Bottom line – have a vision, plan for it, be ready to adapt and just go for it. There were some ‘firsts’ for me in this project and I’m super stoked with how well it all turned out.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Ajmod
Building a Reputation

Re: My laundry reno

Looks fantastic @ProjectPete, well done! I love the tiled splashback. 

Ticcas
Just Starting Out

Hi 

love the result. 

Noticed you have a slider door like we do.

did this pose an issue at all.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Workshop @Ticcas and thanks for joining in the discussion. I'm sure you'll find lots of great information, advice and inspiration here on the site. And plenty of like-minded community members.

I'm sure @ProjectPete will be happy to answer your question about the sliding door. Please post again soon. I'm looking forward to reading about your own projects and plans.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @Ticcas - very proud of this project! No issue with the sliding door as I ended the benchtopon the outside of the 'frame' (brick wall) if that makes sense, ie. I didn't cut the wood to fit into the sliding door recess.

Is that what you meant?

----------
Handy and helpful

Nice. What timber did you use? And where was it purchased from?
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @dmck. I'm sure @ProjectPete will be happy to answer your question about the benchtop. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. It's great to have you join us. I'm sure you will find plenty of useful advice, information and inspiration on Workshop. I trust you also have projects you can share to inspire others! 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

@dmck Its actually just a couple of Tasmanian Oak project panels from our good friends at Bunnings :smile:

----------
Handy and helpful

Awesome thanks :smile:

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Hi @ProjectPete  I know this is an old project but I love the fact that you have shared with us on workshop the major steps involved in completing your laundry re -model.  It's so neat, with clean lines and so easy - user friendly.

My laundry is a bit dated and has a floor waste on the outside only, meaning it looks like it has one that maybe got filled as there isn't one in the actual laundry, which I've discovered since we hit level 4 water restrictions Nov gone, and I'd had to count how many times I've flooded the laundry, but that's another story I won't get into. (or I may just swear!)

I would dearly love some more storage, but for now there is nothing really wrong with the laundry, besides the missing floor waste, so I can't justify doing anything in there so I've put in some shelves to help out.

Thanks again for all your amazing information I appreciate it and can see so many others feel the same.  

Old Gal

Thanks for the message @Old-gal24. It's always nice to know that the time/effort I put into this awesome community is helpful and appreciated!
----------
Handy and helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects