Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof yellow tongue Structafloor in bathroom?

JackOfAll
Finding My Feet

How to waterproof yellow tongue Structafloor in bathroom?

Hi all,

looking for advice on a new build with Yellow tongue Structafloor. What is the best way to create the fall & waterproof on the structafloor? Any products better than others for use on this flooring? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers 😀

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom on Structafloor

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JackOfAll. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about wet area flooring.

Particleboard flooring is accepted by building authorities for use beneath impervious floor surfacings in wet area rooms such as bathrooms, laundries and toilets. The waterproofing of the floor surface should comply with AS 3740, Waterproofing of Wet Areas in Residential Buildings. Bastion 15kg Under Tile Waterproofing Membrane is a suitable coating for your structural flooring and complies with that code.

For general bathroom floor areas, the recommended gradient fall towards the waste is 1:100. The floor gradients can be achieved by laying a cement screed onto your suitably prepared substrate.

Both waterproofing the bathroom and adjusting the gradients of the floor are not simple D.I.Y. projects, and I'd encourage you to discuss with a builder and decide whether it's best to enlist the services of professionals for this work. An issue that can arise is that if your waterproofing fails and significant damage is done to the property, your home insurance could be compromised due to not having a licensed waterproof who's signed off on the work.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Bathroom on Structafloor

Hi @MitchellMc 

thank you for your welcome & advice.

I am an owner builder in Tasmania, our surveyor is happy for us to certify the waterproofing ( a Tas thing! ). I have done a few bathroom renovations previously  but on a concrete substrate. So cement screed is best to create the correct fall on top of the Yellow tongue. Thank you for your help. Cheers 😀

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects