Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop water leaking into the toilet bowl?

Neo19
Making a Splash

How to stop water leaking into the toilet bowl?

Hi everyone,

I've noticed a leak in my toilet bowl, and now the tank isn't filling up.

I opened it up and saw a broken disk-shaped part (see photos). Any idea how to fix this or what part I need to replace?PXL_20231018_081935165.jpgPXL_20231018_081941715.jpgPXL_20231018_081946965.jpgPXL_20231018_082010681.jpgPXL_20231018_082253064.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop water leaking into the toilet bowl?

Hi @Neo19,

Is the toilet not filling up due to the water being released directly into the bowl, or is there no water entering the cistern at all? I'm not sure where that broken part comes from, but I can see that you're outlet valve washer is no longer positioned correctly, so I suspect this piece helped retain it. It looks like you'll need to replace the whole outlet flush valve mechanism. If that doesn't resolve the issue with water entering the cistern, you'd be looking to install a new inlet valve, too.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, Thanks for your quick response. 

Water entering the cisterns is going directly into the bowl. As far as I can see, the inlet system is working properly. 

Thanks for providing link to the outlet flush valve mechanism. Are they universal? Do I need to get from the brand? 

Regards, 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The outlet valve I've linked to looks very similar to your current model, and it would likely be a direct swap @Neo19. Taking the outlet valve with you into a store would be a good idea so the team can match it up with the correct unit.

Mitchell

I've got the outlet valve you linked to @MitchellMc

Could you please guide me about how to remove the flush tank from the toildet so I can install the valve. 

please see attached photos. 

There are no access to the underside of the tank. But it looks like there are two 

It looks like there are two screws and two twist knobs. I have tried with different screw heads without any success. 

What tool do I require? 

PXL_20231027_235449736.jpgPXL_20231025_235728281.jpgPXL_20231027_235502904.jpg

I believe brand is stylus banksia. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Neo19,

What is preventing you from installing the flush valve? Could you please provide a picture of it next to the old one? Given the similarity between it and the old unit, I would think it would fit directly into the attachment already in the toilet. Does the new flush valve look the same as the old one? Is there a part you can remove off the bottom of the new one so it looks identical to the old one?

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc 

Sorry for the delay in responding. We were all sick with Covid.. Finally Covid19 came to our house for the first time!

I've attached side by side pictures of the old flush valve that's removable and that of the new valve. 

You can see the flush valve attaching clips on the bottom are different. 

I could see replacing the whole valve as the only option and that requires the part circled in red to be attached from the underneath the flush tank. So I asked aboutnew valve with botton ringnew valve with botton ringNew and (removable part of) old side by sideNew and (removable part of) old side by sideIf you detach the top of new valveIf you detach the top of new valvebottom of the old which in insitubottom of the old which in insitu removing flush tank. 

What would you advice? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's unfortunate, @Neo19. The flush valves are almost identical, apart from how they clip into the lower section. I hoped you could just clip the new unit into the existing base. Since that doesn't seem to be an option now, the only way to resolve the issue is to replace the bottom fitting. See the two white plastic fingers turn nuts in the bottom of the cistern? They need to be undone, allowing you to remove the cistern. Check for fixings at the back of the cistern that connect it to the wall and undo those too. Once you've removed the cistern, you'll have access to the nut underneath it. Undo the large nut and replace the old bottom section with the new one. Reinstall the cistern and connect your outlet valve.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc

I easily undid the finger turn nuts. Fortunately, the cistern was not connected to the wall

Now two challanges in front of me are - 

1. The plastic but that is screwed from underneath the cistern is very tight and due to the large black washer that's fixed to the bottom of the cistern, there is limited access. How can I could loosen this? 

2. One of the plastic clips disintegrated, and the left side rectangular metal thread fell into the cavity. I tried to remove the right side clip to inspect it, but it broke. What replacement parts do I need?PXL_20231103_033443948.jpgstubborn ringstubborn ringPXL_20231103_033202338.jpgbroken clipbroken clip

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Neo19 

You've done excellent work in getting that cistern off. For the broken plastic clip, I suggest using the Tox M6 Flip Toggle Bolt. I recommend bringing the broken one with you so that you can compare it to the new one to make sure that they are the same size. 

To remove the plastic nut at the bottom of the cistern, I suggest using a Trojan 300mm Multigrip Plier. The tool is capable of opening to larger diameter. Please take care not to accidentally crush the fitting fitting.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects