Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. stencil tiled flooring

ZoeGilpin
Cultivating a Following

D.I.Y. stencil tiled flooring

Using the Dulux Renovation Range Floor paint, I gave our laundry floor a realistic tile look using a stencil.

Materials

Dulux Renovation Range primer

Dulux Renovation Range floor paint in 'Vivid White'.

Dulux Renovation Range Floor paint in 'Army Issue'.

Stencil.

Paint Brush.

Small paint roller.

Masking tape.

Tools

Steps

Step 1

PXL_20230523_053239614.MP.jpg

Give the tiles and grout a good clean. I used sugar soap anda microfiber cloth and also my RubberMaid Electronic cleaner. Then go in with one coat of the Dulux Renovation Range primer. Allow to dry overnight/minimum of 8 hours.

Step 2

PXL_20230524_043552153.MP.jpg

Next up is the base colour in the Dulux Renovation Range. I applied 3 coats of the 'Vivid White'. Painting grout lines with a paint brush, and then rolling over the tiles with the small roller. Allowing each coat to dry a minimum of 8 hours in between.

Step 3

PXL_20230527_052839036.MP.jpg

Once the white was completely dry, it was time to stencil! I picked up my stencil from a small business which was the same size as my existing tiles - this was important to me so that the tiles looked more real. There was a lot of trial and error when it came to stencilling. I found that taping down the stencil lightly, then rolling a thin layer of paint worked best. Too much paint left to bleeding. I applied one coat of Dulux 'Army Issue' with the roller and then touched up wherever needed with a small artists brush. 

Step 4

Once completed, we kept off the floors for a few days just to make sure everything was  completely dry and ready to use. It's been almost six weeks since I completed this project and it's looking amazing and I'm so glad I gave it a go!

IMG_2365.jpg

homeinmelbourne
Becoming a Leader

Re: D.I.Y. stencil tiled flooring

Well done @ZoeGilpin !

The finished result looks perfect and I love your choice of paint colour. 😊

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @ZoeGilpin,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined and thank you for sharing your stenciled tile project with us. I absolutely love how it turned out, it looks very professional. When it came to tiles that weren't a perfect square, how did you manage the stenciling? Did you need to have extras on hand? 

Make sure you check out our Top Ideas section where our member's projects get featured like in Top 10 most popular painting projects. You may even find your project in there one day. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @ZoeGilpin 

You have so much patience!  It's a terrific job you've done.  Congratulations on a perfect job of love 👏👏

Cheers 🤗

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

Well done @ZoeGilpin they look fab!

helsbren
Building a Reputation

I really love this. Where did you find a stencil to fit your tile?

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @helsbren,

First, a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! Let me tag @ZoeGilpin so they know you are inspired by their project and would like to find out where they found their great stencil. Are you looking to create a similar look? We would love to see what you are creating and we are happy to help you along the way.

Katie

Spartnan
Finding My Feet

What a fantastic result. Absolutely love this !

Looks amazing, Are you able to share where you got your stencil please?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Spartnan @KatieC  @helsbren  and @Renowayoflife 

It looks like the source of the stencil is to remain a mystery!  I became too impatient so went to Professor DuckDuckGo!  There are lots of videos out there, but The DIY Mommy shows how to do so!  So I thought I'd share!  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bPHEGlVNkNk

Good luck!

@Tyro 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Spartnan 

Welcome to the Bunnings Worskhop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

Let me tag @ZoeGilpin to make them aware of your kind words and question. There is the option of the Crafted Wall Shapes Stencil Book, but they are not as big as the stencil used for flooring. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects