Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace uneven bathroom floor?

Kurt1
Just Starting Out

How to replace uneven bathroom floor?

Hi I have a bathroom in a 1940s constructed cottage.  My current project in the room is to complete the floor.

I have lifted up the old floorboards and put orange tongue down (yet to fix).  My intention is to put cement sheeting, water proofing, and tiles down to complete the job.  However, the floor is not completely level.  If I put down self levelling compound, is cement sheeting needed at all? Or does it go on top of the SLC?

Thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace uneven bathroom floor?

Hello @Kurt1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your bathroom floor. 

Is the orange tounge on a timber frame? If it is, this could save you a bit if you level the frame before fixing the orange tounge in place. It would save you from having to put in the SLC.

Please keep in mind that if there is a waste present a proper fall will be necessary to guide the water into the waste. It is still necessary to have the cement sheeting in place if you are tiling the floor. The SLC goes on top of the cement sheeting and the water proofing goes over the SLC. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects