Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a basin spout?

Barnesy
Growing in Experience

How to replace a basin spout?

IMG_5615.jpeg

IMG_5614.jpeg

I’m trying to replace my bathroom basic spout after it popped off this morning. I bought the new basin tapware set but can’t get the black lock nut (pic attached) onto the T-piece (pic attached) that sits under the basin. 
I’m replacing like for like; how do I remove the t-piece so I can get the lock nut on? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing basin spout and I’m stuck!

Hi @Barnesy,

The T-piece (breech) is connected between your two tap bodies via compression fittings. Brass nuts at either end of the breech engage the compression fittings and hold it in position. Please be aware that this is considered plumbing work and requires a licensed plumber.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Barnesy
Growing in Experience

Re: Replacing basin spout and I’m stuck!

Awesome thanks Mitchell. 

Jeffsubi
Just Starting Out

Re: How to replace a basin spout?

Remove the cold and hot tap handles and tap covers. Remove the lock nut that holds each tap to the porcelain of the basin then push both taps down through their holes far enough (1or 2 cm) to slip the spout lock nut over the T-piece under the basin - flange upwards. Reassemble the taps, push the spout over the vertical T-piece tube with O-rings, then tighten the spout lock nut from under the basin.

I found the tube spanners from Bunnings were 29mm but not big enough to remove the tap lock nuts on my taps which were 30.05mm, so I used a Trojan adjustable wide mouth wrench which worked a treat.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace a basin spout?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jeffsubi. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

I trust @Barnesy appreciates your input and detailed explanation of how to remove a breech.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects