Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair tile grout in bathtub?

SaadMalik
Growing in Experience

How to repair tile grout in bathtub?

IMG_6187.jpeg

IMG_6186.jpeg

   

Hello,

I have recently noticed in my bathroom that the grout between the tiles and the bath tub has developed gaps. Not sure of

IMG_6188.jpeg

the reason as the construction is fairly new.

However, I am unsure of the long term complications. I am unsure if it will have detrimental effect to the gyprock if the water penetrates through the gaps especially considering it’s location I.e bath tub which often gets used to shower my son.

I want to repair it and want to know how I should go about doing it? I will appreciate any comments, thoughts and guidance.

Much appreciated.

Saad

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair tile grout in bathtub?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SaadMalik. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing grout.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the crack, it's just the newish build settling, and there is a waterproofing layer underneath to prevent moisture from getting to the Gyprock. Although the current crack is not cause for concern, I recommend repairing it.

The joint between a bath and tiles is somewhere movement can be expected. Typically on a joint where movement occurs, you'd use a flexible silicone instead of a cement-based grout. I'd recommend removing the grout with a grout saw, being careful not to scratch the bathtub and replacing it with a silicone sealant. It seems like a very thin joint of grout, so it might be easy to cut it out with a retractable knife instead of the grout saw. Remember your PPE, including gloves and safety glasses. Also, make sure to cut away from your hands.

Check out this recent project by the fabulous @mich1972, where she repairs her grout: How to make tile edges look neater. Also, we have a helpful step-by-step guide: How to apply silicone sealant.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: rectify grout bathroom tub

@MitchellMc Thank you for the tag Mitch.😃 Welcome to the Workshop Community @SaadMalik this is a great place to learn more about DIY and get friendly advice from the experts. 
Im not an expert but I wanted to have a go myself to fix up the movement cracks / hairline cracks with our shower tiles, bathtub tiles ect. So I shared photos, asked questions and got great feedback and also advised to read step by step instructions. PERFECT advice and it gave me the confidence to have a good go at it and I am so happy I did !!!! 

Exactly what Mitch has advised, I used a scraper to remove the old silicone. Wiped it down with a damp cloth with a bit of Turpentine to remove any residue, I think you can use Methylated Spirits to Mitch ? 
Once scraped and cleaned, used a silicone suitable for wet areas. 
I was was advised to use tape to prevent the silicone smudging everywhere and it worked a treat. 
I’m now obsessed with silicone and grout 😆 

As a beginner, I want to advise a couple of things. 

Have the confidence to do it yourself. 
Don’t be scared to ask questions. 
Don’t rush the project, take your time. 
Wear the appropriate safety gear and work safely. 

Good luck @SaadMalik i can’t wait to see you fix it yourself 😊😊😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: rectify grout bathroom tub

That's correct, @mich1972; Methylated spirits works a treat to clean the surface prior to adding silicone.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects