Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair large hole in shower tiles?

FQ
Finding My Feet

How to repair large hole in shower tiles?

My bathroom tiles have been tiled over tiles and there is a bit of a gap between them. When changing a shower shelf I found the tiles behind are damaged so after cleaning out the hole of loose bits I have a hole 3cm with a gap between the tiles and the wall of about 2cm. How do I stop my filler dropping behind the tiles and what should I use to fill the hole please?

IMG_2934.jpeg

wooshka
Making a Splash

Re: repair large hole shower tiles

Hi @FQ , So the hole is about 3cm wide and the gap inbetween the old wall is 2cm?

If it is that is a big area, not sure if i would try and fill it to attach another shelf as i dont think a filler could hold it.

Can you confirm this?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @FQ

The best way to repair this is not to think about the hole yet and can  I ask do you have any  left over tile hanging around of the same  pattern?

Or alternatly use white gloss tiles and make it a  tile feature  like Maralin Monroe she highlighted her flaw not hide it.

Tile is whats there will be  best look and ideal. Any filler will look  B Rate  but if filers used several options here they will  fill it 100% if that is the choice you wish

So hears to goal  as I see it  Basicaly option one angle grind with thin masionary disk the damaged tile and lift it out (usually a destructive process be  gente)  Simply clean the space and reglue new tile covering hole and  re grouting.

Option 2 which is more highly skilled is  use an angle grinder and cut a diamond shape or square over the hole and use a white tile in that diamond shape as a feature tile. Nsaterally the shape you cut will match  the white tiles shape without cutting it.

But  The next best bet is a epoxy filler that should look like a  white tile so Think about your skill  level and we can help out  further.

Thanks, I have spare tile but they are very tightly fitted and the tile next to it goes underneath the shower screen.  It too has a loose fitting so will have to do it too if I am successful in the repair.  I like your idea just don’t have the skill level so the repair is temporary until I can find someone to replace the tile.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @FQ 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about repairing a large hole in your tile.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @wooshka and @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the recommendations made, I recommend using a popsicle stick and some string to support the filler while the hole is being filled. The general steps are to tie a string in the middle of the popsicle stick and slide it into the hole and pull the stick towards you.

The stick will serve as the backing board for filler and will prevent it from falling in between the gap. If the stick is too big you can cut it down so that you can slide in the hole. I recommend using PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste, it's waterproof and can be sanded down when it cures. 

I suggest feathering the edges once you have filled the hole, this will blend it in with its surroundings. Please note that it will dry off white and will not be the same colour as your tile. I've placed some images below to give you an idea of how to use the popsicle stick. Once the epoxy cures you can cut the string.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @FQ

You are right not to tackle the tile  replacment repair as  DIY unless you have built up to those skills and cutting in to tiles and water proofing has some hidden water pipes and a bunch of  other issues. I am certainly want you to suceed so  there is an other option or follow @EricL 

suggested filler repair option will work.

@FQ  A very simple and effective solution that will look pretty good and turn the repair from a patch job to near art.   Why dont you consider buying a sheet of cute fish scale shaped tiles (or  other small  tiles)  of lovely  shape and colour (Gold  Square tiles skys the limit here ). Simply pull it off the mesh  background sheet or trim it off the sheet and clear silicon under the tile and glue it neatly over the holes (hold the tile in place with any tape for 12 hours) .

So the two lone tiles  dont look as a cover up add a couple feature tiles to the area to make a theme with raised tiles.

Use a clear silicon so in the future the tiles can be removed and the silcon rubbed off pulled off like chewing gum  the base tiles surface resonably easy .  So you can  do a full repair later or change bathroom looks easy.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects