Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level bathroom floor for tiling?

JR1210
Just Starting Out

How to level bathroom floor for tiling?

IMG_6274.jpeg
My bathroom floor is a mix of concrete and old screed. Ideally I would screed over the top of it, but then the tiles will be too high. What’s the best method to prepare the floor for tiling? If I screed to the height of concrete then the screed will be 5-10mm in some areas 

IMG_6273.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to level bathroom floor for tiling?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JR1210. It's great to have you join us and we look forward to seeing how you can transform your bathroom. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have projects to share with other members.

Let me tag one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL for his thoughts on your bathroom floor. Eric will be back on the site later today so perhaps other helpful members such as @TedBear and @DIYGnome might also like to join in the discussion.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to level bathroom floor for tiling?

Hello @JR1210 

Thanks for sharing your question about levelling your bathroom floor. I suggest having a look at Dunlop 20kg Ardit Floor Leveller it can be applied up to 25mm thick. I suggest using a combination of spirit level and builders string to assess where the low sections of your floor are. 

Before applying the floor leveller It's important that the surface is clean, free of dirt and debris. I recommend using Dunlop 4L Multipurpose Primer. It is a water-based primer which enhances the bond between substrates and Dunlop floor levellers, renders, tile adhesives and waterproofing products. Suitable substrates include new and old concrete, particleboard, marine plywood and fibre-cement sheets.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you level a floor?

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects