Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove rusty screw in shower door?

Jules2023
Getting Established

How to remove rusty screw in shower door?

451E0B6B-910C-4ACE-A954-3B52AAF5CCCD.jpeg

I'm wanting to repair this framed three panel shower door. Someone has used an incorrect replacement screw which is thoroughly rusted in. Have tried wd40 with no success yet. Need to replace it so the glass is held properly in place. Any suggestions how to get this out? 
I can't seem to get the panels out without removing these rubber stoppers.

also if anyone knows where I might find replacement panels that are the same colour and style. 

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to remove rusty screw in shower door

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jules2023. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a rusty screw.

I note that it's a phillips head screw but also can be undone with a flathead. Have you tried using a large flathead screwdriver? I'd suggest using the largest possible that the tip of will suit the slot of the screw head. 

I suspect the screw is actually holding correctly, and it's the fitting itself that has pulled out of the frame. I think you'd find if the screw wasn't holding correctly, you could just pull it out. So, if this is the case, then replacing the doors might be required. Unfortunately, the doors are likely proprietary designs from the company that manufactured the shower screen, so you'd need to try to get replacements through them. The easier option might be replacing the shower screen with a new unit. There are some quite budget-friendly shower screens out there, like the Estilo 900 x 1830mm White Semi Frameless Shower Screen. I'd imagine that even if you could purchase new doors, they'd come close to the cost of a whole new enclosure.

A word of warning that shower screens can shatter extremely easily, especially if struck with a hard tool. I recommend caution when working on or around them and wearing appropriate PPE, including gloves, safety glasses, a long-sleeved shirt and trousers and enclosed footwear. I'd also recommend you consider enlisting the services of a professional to assist with your project.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYGnome
Building a Reputation

We have a similarly designed shower screen probably circa 1980's, there is a horizontal cover piece at the top of the assembly which should simply lift off, this will expose the track rail the doors are suspended from and will permit easier glass panel removal. 

As already suggested a replacement is the easiest solution however the panel isn't beyond redemption, the screw has expanded (with rust) within the fixture and if completely uncooperative the head could be removed with a cutting implement (hacksaw) OR something like a Dremel tool, as for easing that rubber seal back into the frame, a little dishwashing liquid makes such jobs (and aluminum frame window repairs) significantly easier. 

Thanks Mitchell,

I might try just getting the fitting back in, maybe with a bit of silicone to help it stay in place. 
the intention is to just give it a bit more life until bathroom overhaul, so I'd rather leave the current doors to match the colour theme etc for the moment. 

Thanks for that. The horizontal piece on top is riveted on, so I suppose it could theoretically be removed, but I will first try the suggestion of just getting the rubber part back into the frame, and let the rusty screw stay where it is.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects