Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a dishwasher in the laundry?

KWalker1
Finding My Feet

How to install a dishwasher in the laundry?

Hi,

We rent so we aren't able to modify the kitchen to put the dishwasher in so we have to put it in the laundry. I've read up a bit on some advice but not sure if I've got it right.

The inlet and outlet houses for the dishwasher both reach where they need to go so I think I just need something to split the inlet tap? Does it go on the cold or hot water?

The dryer (3rd machine from the right) has the ability to drain itself but I'm not sure if I should or not? That would involve trying to rig up something as the two drain holes in the tubs are used by the washing machine and dishwasher. 

One last question is whether I could put the dryer on top of the dishwasher? I know I can't walk mount it because it's a heat pump but wondered if I could save on space? 

P.S. Forgive the mess, still need to remove old dryer. 

1000002559.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to install a dishwasher in the laundry?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @KWalker1. We're delighted to have you join us.

Apologies for the delay in responding to your question. One of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts Mitch has had to unexpectedly take some urgent leave. Our other Bunnings guru @EricL will be back online later today and happy to assist.

Let me also tag some of our other ever-helpful members @bobfossil@Dave-1@tom_builds and @LePallet to see if they have any thoughts in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @KWalker1 

Looks like you enjoy tetris :smile: I Must admit I do the same type of figuring when I am after space :smile:

Will try and step through your questions.

There are attachments to give more points of conections from taps  hose adaptor I think there should be one that has three spigots off one but you may need to go to a plumbing place? If you look at the specs of your dishwasher it should specify if you need both hot and cold water connected or if it heats the water itself. (Can you tell I dont own a dishwasher? lol )

The question about putting the drier on top of the dishwasher... Mmmm I probarly wouldnt. The driers Ive seen tend to shake and having it siiting on top of the dishwasher I think will be asking for trouble (one day you will hear and all mighty BANG!) If you are removing the old drier will the new one be able to take its place? I presume the bolts mounting it to the wall will show where the timber posts are within the wall.

The drier draining itself question... Does it say in the documentation of the drier that it should be connected? If it does then you could use a drain hose connector (Just had a look up if they exist and they do :smile: ) I often wander the aisle at Bunnings especially the plumbing aisle and its amazing the amount of connectors that you could potentially use.

One last question is about connector the outlet from the dishwasher and the washing machine together is it may allow backwash to both :surprised: It sounds like there are ways around it but I would head back to the documentation of your units to see if they recomend it.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @KWalker1 

My apologies for the late reply. I suggest using a Pope 2 Way Brass Threaded Tap to split the cold-water outlet. A modern dish washer creates its own hot water. Please do not attach the hot water to your dishwasher as this will damage the unit.  

In regards to the water outlet of the dryer, I suggest having a good look at its installation instructions, if the outlet is necessary, I suggest exploring the option of having the outlet pointed towards the laundry tub.

I believe it would be better to have the dryer on top of the washing machine. I'm not sure if the dishwasher can take the weight and constant vibration from the dryer. Whereas the washing machine has been designed to take vibration. However, just to be on the safe side, I suggest reading the installation instructions for the washing machine and see if a dryer can be put on top of it.

I recommend using Jack 100 x 15mm Rubber Anti Vibration Squares if the dryer can be mounted on top of the washing machine.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks EricL

The washing machine is a top loader so I think I'll just leave them lined up and I'll install cupboards above. 

The dryer has a tank so doesn't have to be hooked up. 

Appreciate your help. 😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects