Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix leaking in laundry cabinet?

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

How to fix leaking in laundry cabinet?

Hi all,

The photo shows what's happening, any ideas on what to do to fix this leak as it's beginning to damage the cabinet.

image000000.jpg

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

Re: Leaking in laundry cabinet

Thanks Mitchell, I'll give it a try.

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

While on this theme I thought I'd ask another question if I may. Some time ago we had a leak under the kitchen cabinet, the cabinet had a dual basin and there were at least 4 connections including the P trap. We thought the problem was one of the middle joins and tightened it accordingly, this did not solve the problem because the actual leak was higher up, the water had been running down creating the illusion that it was coming from one of the middle joins. The question I have is how do you tell which join is actually leaking? Is there equipment, tips etc that would help? Water flows so quickly from one join to another that it's hard to pinpoint where the leak is.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's a great question @tigerzen. Typically, I would fill the bowls with water with the plug inserted. Dry off the pipework and have someone sit there watching it while someone else pulls the plugs. You can place your hands around certain fittings to feel the water run down them. If you feel the water run down over your hand, you'll be able to tell the leak is above that point. Keep working your way up the fittings until you find the culprit.

It might take several attempts of drying the pipe work off and looking closely before you find the target area. If it's still difficult to find the leak, try adding a squirt of blue or red food colouring into the water. The colouring will enhance the leaks detectability.

Mitchell 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tigerzen
Building a Reputation

And that's a great answer Mitchell! Thanks for that solution and I'm sure others are going to find that a very useful suggestion. As I recall the actual leak was where the sink basin and the connector underneath intersected. If that is the actual problem in the current situation is there a specific sequence of steps to follow and will silicon be enough to bridge the gap?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The plug and waste comes with at least one rubber washer @tigerzen. The rubber washer gets inserted onto the threaded section of the waste, and the waste is inserted into the basin. A nut is done up underneath the basin to compress this rubber washer in the basin. Quite often, this rubber washer is placed underneath the basin, which is in the incorrect position and causes the water to leak out of the basin.

So, for a leak directly under the basin, I'd be checking to see where the rubber washer has been placed and remove the waste, if necessary, to reposition the washer inside the basin.

Mitchell

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

Thanks to all that helped we were successful in the end. The basin was indeed leaking and we loosened then re-positioned as per Mitch's advice. The tissue idea that JewelleryRescue mentioned was great in that it helped to confirm that we had fixed the leak. Eric's advice about repositioning the nut/washer was also helpful. So, a real team effort, I couldn't have done it without you guys, thanks so much!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's sensational to hear @tigerzen. Well done!

Mitchell 

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

Something of a postscript but in the opening post is a photo which shows what looks like a crushed o-ring. It was in fact some sort of black rubber tape resembling teflon but thicker, anyone know what it is and why it was used instead of normal teflon tape?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's likely self-fusing silicone tape, @tigerzen. It's used as a catch-all for leaks but is not the appropriate product, whereas Teflon tape is. Possibly, a home D.I.Y. attempt to seal the joint.

Mitchell

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

Thanks for clarifying Mitch, looks very DIYish.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects