Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install VJ panelling in bathroom?

penelopejt
Just Starting Out

How to install VJ panelling in bathroom?

Hi everyone, 

I've recently finished building my first home and am interested in adding VJ panelling to my bathrooms and laundry areas. I have sought the product through a Bunnings store and had some amazing help from the team in choosing the right product for these areas (cement sheeting). I'm just wondering how many of you have installed this before (either as new homes or renovations) and how difficult/easy it is. I inquired with someone I know who is in the trade and they advised against it as it is a huge job to cut the panels to size and fit, especially if walls are out of proportion and aren't perfectly straight. I was really disheartened to hear this! I understand that not all walls are perfect and can be out, but with the growing popularity of VJ panelling in homes, I'm curious if anyone has encountered this and if it's prevented the job being done. I'd love to hear your stories and/or advice. Is it possible or is this person avoiding doing the job for me lol?

Thanks in advance,

Penelope

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: VJ Panelling in Bathroom

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @penelopejt. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing VJ panelling.

Obviously, I'm not privy to the whole story regarding the tradesperson's hesitation, but there's nothing overly complicated about the installation. It could be done as a D.I.Y. by yourself if you were keen. I certainly wouldn't give up on your idea purely from their response. I suggest you speak with at least one more tradesperson.

Cutting panels to suit sizes is not an issue, and mounting to a wall, even if it's out of square, can be done by using shims and adjusting the frame to suit. What type of wall is it going over, and is it out of square? The installation would be considered a straightforward process if the wall is reasonably square.

There are heaps of wonderful bathroom projects in the community that show how this can be simply achieved, even as a D.I.Y. project. Perhaps the tradesperson was hesitant purely because you mentioned cement-based sheets. There are wet-area timber-based panels which is what our members would typically use as they are easier to cut with standard timber working tools.

Let me mention several of our members, @RCRISP, @Fishvince, @craftyhopper and @Renowayoflife, that have successfully completed such a project. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

Re: VJ Panelling in Bathroom

Hi @penelopejt ,

im so excited for you! What a fun project.

I’m not sure the hesitation but have found that if there’s hesitation they don’t want the job.

it is a little fiddly as you will probably have to cut down the sheets - but it’s not complicated. Just make sure to wear PPE and vacuum all the dust up as you don’t want to be breathing it in. 
We cut ours with a circular saw with hardy board blade.

we installed these in our recent bathroom renovation on the ceiling and walls. They’re heavy and awkward but so worth it. 

my husband and I installed them ourselves and we used a hoist for the ceilings which was great as they’re really heavy to hold over head.

i have shared some updates in our instagram highlight under ‘Kids Bathroom’ I think there’s a video there showing the installation.

https://www.instagram.com/renowayoflife/

good luck and let us know how you go! 

thanks Claire 

IMG_1435_jpg.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects