Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix bathroom shower leak?

sunillinus20
Growing in Experience

How to fix bathroom shower leak?

Hi,

My bathroom shower area started to leak water just this week. The water came into the area between the shower room and the sink cabinet (4th photo)

Wondering if the grout has failed or if resealing using sealant might help?

20230507_174141.jpg

20230507_174155.jpg

  

20230507_174205.jpg

20230507_174022.jpg

Please let me know.

Sunil.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom shower leak

Hi @sunillinus20,

When addressing leaking showers, it's very important to identify where exactly the leaks are coming from. In the image below, can you tell if the water leaks from the joint with red or orange arrows? If it is the orange arrows, removing and replacing this silicone on the other side of the glass marked with green arrows should prove effective. However, if the water is seeping out from the joint marked with red arrows, it could be a more substantial problem. You could stem this leak with new sealant on the inside corner of the raised tiled area marked with black arrows, but water shouldn't be able to leak through this raised tile section.

I suggest doing some experiments and pouring water on the top of the raised tile section inside the shower. If it leaks out under the screen and runs down the face of the tiles on the outside, it's a good indication that the new sealant along the green section will solve the issue. It's best to cut out the existing sealant and redo it than to try and add more over the area. Here's a helpful guide on How to apply bathroom sealant.

Remember you're PPE including gloves and protective eyewear.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi MitchellMc,

Thank you as always for your feedback and help.

I noted in your response you mention coloured arrows and areas in the photos. I did not see any photos in your response message. Wondering if you were referring to my post photos or where.

Please let me know.

Regards,

Sunil.

So sorry @sunillinus20. Here's that image.

Mitchell

Leak.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you MitchellMc for the marked photo. Was really helpful along with your notes to understand the areas you were referring to.

Will check out if the water is seeping out from the orange area or red area first.

Will keep you posted.

Regards,

Sunil.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects