Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove pet odours?

CwalkerG
Just Starting Out

How to remove pet odours?

Hii I'm in abit of a stinky sitcho so one of the bed rooms in my house is heavily soiled in dog urine I have carpet cleaned it twice but it still smells so ive decided to remove the carpet and underlay and give it a good scrub underneath it is hardwood flooring would I need to sand ìt? I watched a few tiktoks so I'm not 100% sure on what I'm doing but i will be getting new carpet installed professionally once the old carpet is removed any advise or tips would be really helpful😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove pet odours?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CwalkerG. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing pet odours.

Where are you at with the floors at the moment? Have you removed the carpets, or are they still in place?

Have you used any products to neutralise the odour, or has the carpet cleaning just been done with water and/or standard cleaning solutions? You will need to use a product that is designed to neutralise the odours, such as Simple Green 650ml Pet Stain And Odour Remover or Britex 500ml Odour Blaster. Do a test section of the product in an inconspicuous location to make sure it does stain if you have a lighter-coloured carpet. 

You really want the spray to penetrate down into the carpet fibres. This will leave the carpet quite wet, but open the windows and put a fan in the room to dry it out. Do not close the room up with wet carpets.

These products can also be used on your timber floor if you choose to remove the carpet. I'd try them first before you consider sanding the surface.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects