Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a shower arm that won't stay in position?

Rdonair
Growing in Experience

How to fix a shower arm that won't stay in position?

Hi. I have an old adjustable shower arm that suddenly stopped staying in position. It moves at the swivel (arrow in pic). Is there a way to tighten it up again or do I need to replace it?

IMG_3794.jpeg

IMG_3719.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a shower arm that won't stay in position?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Rdonair. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about adjusting a shower arm.

Typically, shower arms have a tension adjustment for that joint. That doesn't appear to be the case on your unit, as there are no visible nuts or screws. Likely, it had an internal mechanism that held the joint in tension, and that has failed. I'd recommend the best course of action would be to replace the shower head and arm. It's quite literally a 15-minute job, and here's a helpful article to assist with it: How to change a shower head.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rdonair
Growing in Experience

Thank you MitchellMc 😁

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day Mitch. @MitchellMc 

Is that a cover seen at far right of @Rdonair 's top photo.

Could it be hiding a locking nut?

Any excuse to use the whiteboard. 😁

20230916_093212.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Quite possibly, @Noyade. I'm not familiar with a design like that, but I would have thought there was potentially an access point to the innards.

Mitchell

Rdonair
Growing in Experience

Thanks. I did wonder - but can’t figure out how to open that😁

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Rdonair 

If you are interested to get the cover off, I propose using a Craftright 11 Piece Precision Screwdriver Set. I suggest using the 1.2mm flat head screwdriver and inserting it in between the tiny gap between the arm and outer cover. This should allow you to lift the side cover that is hiding the fixing nut inside. 

However, installing a new shower head such as the Estilo 3 Function Hand Shower WELS 3 Star 9L/min would be more convenient than having to repeatedly tighten the arm every week.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Rdonair
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric

I have a similar set of screwdrivers and I’ve just tried them. Even the smallest won’t fit into the gap on the right hand end where the cover is. Either it’s a very tight fit, or maybe it isn’t a cover? Would something like WD40 help loosen it up? 😁

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Rdonair 

Using WD40 might work, otherwise the only other choice is to remove it with extreme force. Have you tried both sides of the shower arm? Sometimes the cap is on the right-hand side of the fixing. 

If you're still having difficulty, I suggest using a Craftright 250mm Multigrip Pliers in order to affect repairs. Please note that the pliers will probably damage the cover and you might not be able to use it again. 

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a safety mask while working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Rdonair
Growing in Experience

Thank you. I will try both sides of the arm. I also see there’s a small hole on the underside of the arm and inside there’s something like a screw or bolt that seems to take an Allen key. Could that be part of the puzzle? 😁

IMG_3734.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects