Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a dripping tap?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

How to fix a dripping tap?

One of the taps in our bathroom was leaking from the base of the tap so I dismantled it, changed the valve and put plenty of plumbers tape on the relevant parts, but the tap is now dripping.    Furthermore, I have turned the handle to the max to make the water stop but this doesnt fix the problem. What will?bathroom tap 5.12.23.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dripping tap

Hello @ennoh 

If your tap is still leaking, I suggest trying to repair it one more time. I recommend using Enduraseal 12mm Copper Tap Valves - Pack of 2. This tap valve is very good at sealing taps with uneven seats. There is no need to use too much force when closing the tap when using this valve.

However, if you still have a leak after several weeks, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber as the tap body might need to re-seated or examined. 

I also suggest having a look at this guide - How to replace a tap washer.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYGnome
Building a Reputation

Hello @ennoh just to clarify... water was initially leaking out from under the decorative bell covering the tap assembly (which you fixed) but now the tap leaks from the end of the spout/faucet? 

Sounds like the mating surface for the seal is uneven, with the water shut off and the tap valve assembly removed look down into the body of the tap at the seat (use a bright focusing torch), you should be able to see the condition of the area where the tap seal mates with the body of the tap (see image). 

Untitled.jpg 

Scoring, uneven surfacing or corrosion buildup can be removed with a tap reseating tool, I own this type but there are various designs available which will provide a perfectly flush, plumb & true surface for the washer/valve to seal against, it would be remiss of me to not also point out that not all tap washers/valves are created equal, a better quality seal is worthwhile whilst sometimes a convexed seal works better still. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/fix-a-tap-13mm-1-2-tradesmen-tap-reseater_p4923501

ennoh
Building a Reputation

I did manage to fix the tap and was really pleased with my efforts - thanks to all the advice in this forum.  The tap did stop leaking but to turn off the water I had to turn it as hard as I could - but at least it stopped dripping.  I had to turn it  way to  tight- what causes this?   But now there is a constant drip from the spout and no amount of turning the handle will stop this -  Is it fixable or is it time for new taps?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ennoh,

A tap that continues to leak after the tap valve has been replaced would likely indicate the seat of the tap is damaged, as per @DIYGnomes advice above. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects