Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop handsoap bubbles coming up in the shower?

Gezza87
Cultivating a Following

How to stop handsoap bubbles coming up in the shower?

Hi, Iv just purchased a new to me 2006 house. My issue is that whenever I wash my hands in the ensuite bathroom soap bubbles come up the shower drain and out the overflow hole. The same happens in the main bathroom. Iv tried drain cleaners a 7.6m drain auger and it seems to come up clean. The Water flows perfectly. It seems like the when the water hits the adjoining pipe for the basin and the shower it is just foaming it all up even more. It's hard to see but the basin drain pipe is just above the water level in the last photo. Does anyone know how to stop this? Thanks

1000013276.jpg

1000013277.jpg

1000013280.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Handsoap bubbles coming up on the showet

Hi @Gezza87 

Thats  pretty bizzare never seen it before.

All I  can think of is change hand wash to some thing lower with suds.

Gezza87
Cultivating a Following

Hi @Jewelleryrescue 

Thanks for the reply. Neither have I, i have used this handsoap for over 8 years in our old house with no issues. I will look into a low suds soap.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Gezza87,

If you want to get to the bottom of the issue, then you'd likely have to employ the services of a plumber to check out what's going on. The sink wastewater appears to join the shower waste above its S bend, allowing the water to foam out at that location. However, that is an immense amount of foam from purely handwashing, something I'd expect more from a washing machine dumping the water from a soapy load. I have a similar sink with an overflow hole, and I've never seen foam come back out of it. 

As mentioned by @Jewelleryrescue, the simplest option might be to check out a different variety of handwash.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Gezza87

I know you said you used drain  auger 7.6meters .   One  you tube user pours half a  container of dishwashing soap into  the top drain ie sink drain and leaves it for a couple of hours to help break down oily fat layers  slowly closing the pipe diameter then followed by very hot water to try break down  build ups.   Also there is the  commercial drain cleaners  designed for major blockages but they might help open lesser buildups. As you said you being using same  hand  cleaner for years  so  whats  changed?  Cant hurt  to  do a pipe cleansing.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects