Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover bathroom doorway step down?

khwajas
Growing in Experience

How to cover bathroom doorway step down?

I recently had renovation of the bathroom and as a result of that bathroom floor is no longer flush with the external floor.  There is a 10mm step. Obviously I have to put new door but the step can prove to be a trip hazard. 

1. Is there any thing I can do to improve the step up by adding a strip or something?  i am sure many people may have had this issues. 

2. Second question the door measurement between opening of the door is 775X2002.  The closest standard door I can get is 770X2040.  Can the 5 mm difference in width be covered when the door is installed?  The height will need to be shortened.  Do hollow core doors allow for that? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover bathroom doorway step down?

Hi @khwajas,

10mm is quite a significant height difference that is a bit out of the realm of a standard coverstrip, which has a max height difference of around 4mm. You'd need to go for a ramp trim instead.

For the door, 5mm is fine to be removed for the width, but 38mm is too much to be cut off the height. Even if you split the difference and removed 20mm of the top and bottom, that would be outside the manufacturer's specifications. In this circumstance, you would need to cut the door down to height and then remove the top internal horizontal structural member from the offcut, dig out the honeycomb cardboard from the top of the door, re-insert the timber, and fix it into position. This wouldn't be recommended by the supplier and would likely void your warranty. The other option is to see our helpful team members at your local store's Special Order desk and order a custom-made door.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
khwajas
Growing in Experience

Very grateful for the reply. This is because of a builder abandoning the job after I confronted on his poor workmanship.  Perhaps it is all too common these days.  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @khwajas 

I'm sorry to hear that your first builder did not provide adequate service. Just a friendly reminder before going to the store to double check your door measurements. 

The team at the special orders desk will send the custom size for quoting and our supplier will then get back to us. The special orders team will then get in contact with you to confirm if you wish to proceed with the order.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
khwajas
Growing in Experience

Thx. It is all good. I bought a standard door and a carpenter fit that in ok.  Appreciate.  

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good to see you got it sorted @khwajas 

I was gonna suggest someone ripping a piece of hardwood length to cover the 10mm height.

Cheers.

20240403_085238 - Copy (2).jpg

khwajas
Growing in Experience

Thank you kindly. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects