Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can my bathtub drain outlet be replaced?

Linda58
Just Starting Out

Can my bathtub drain outlet be replaced?

My bathtub drain (plug hole) is tarnished and lost colour. It almost looks like something has eaten away the silver coating. I have tried a variety of cleaning products which haven't worked.  Is there anyway to remove the drain fitting and replace it? Or will my only option be to spray paint silver? The screw showing does nothing to remove it.

Thanks, Linda

Plug Hole.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can my bathtub drain outlet be replaced?

Hi @Linda58,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. We're pleased to have you join the community.

Apologies for the slow reply, it's been a busy time on the site as members tackle their Easter projects.

This is a question that has popped up on Workshop before. Have a look at the advice that Mitch has shared in this previous discussion: How to replace bathtub drain grate? and let us know if you have any follow-up questions.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can my bathtub drain outlet be replaced?

Hello @Linda58 

My apologies for the late reply. It's possible that the plumber used silicone to fix the drain top in place. If the screw is no longer anchored to the bottom piece and has no effect odds are that it is glued in place. I propose using a flat head screwdriver and see if you can lift the edge of the waste.

Please take extreme care as you don't want to damage your bath. Your goal is to just test the waters and see if the bath waste will cooperate and come off. If it is well and truly stuck, I suggest painting it in its current location. 

I recommend covering the bath and walls with drop sheets and masking the surrounding area of the waste. This will prevent any over spray from going on to your bath. However, if you are curious about how the waste is anchored underneath, I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to remove a bathtub (drain) sink? by @Minitots101. It will give you a general idea of what you'll see underneath your bath.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects