Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to conceal a toilet cistern?

mnczma
Getting Established

How to conceal a toilet cistern?

I need to replace the cistern of my toilet. I don't really want a new bowl, as this one is fine. 

It would be a great opportunity to conceal the cistern with some cabinetry or false wall.

A little extra storage space would be great, especially being able to hide away the toilet brush etc. 

I have to replace the cistern in the main toilet too.  Width of room is 880. The drain however is close to the back wall, so will have to keep the clear, or at least allow for water to get through. 

Width of both existing toilets is 380mm.

I would think a dedicated concealed cistern would be preferred, versus hiding a normal cistern. 

Any ideas on how to go about this would be most welcome.  I don't mind if the concealment is full height.  An open shelf would be nice about shoulder height. Obviously will need access to cistern and water supply once completed. 

Does anything like this exist premade or am I right in assuming it's a custom made job. I'm quite handy with timber and have all the tools, so I'm not afraid of that.  Just can't find anything to help me plan it out.  Any hacks using existing Bunnings flat packs would be great. 

I'm in Perth WA,  so it's a single brick wall. The concealment will have to be in front of the existing wall.  Basically the depth would be the same as the existing cistern. 

I'm having trouble uploading images. Will try and do it as a comment below. 

mnczma
Getting Established

Re: DIY ideas for concealing a new cistern.

Just in case I must replace the bowl, the waste is in the floor. 

20230911_150924.jpg

20230911_151815.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mnczma 

Thanks for sharing your question about concealing your cistern in a false wall. I'm afraid the number one issue will be compatibility between the old pan and the hidden inwall cistern. I'm not sure it would work as your existing pan is a close coupled pan and only works with a close coupled cistern. A dedicated hidden cistern is plumbed to work only with a floor pan that has access at the back.

I suggest investing in a Zumi Venus Rimless Floor Pan With Round ABS Plastic Chrome Flush Plate WELS 4 Star 4.5 L/full. This will take out all the guesswork when building your false wall and you can still customize it as storage. The Zumi is compatible with both S&P configurations so it can be installed in your existing toilet suite. 

Please note that this is a special-order product, you'll need to go to your stores special orders desk and order it from there. While you're there, I suggest asking about the store's toilet installation service.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mnczma
Getting Established

Thanks Eric

Any thoughts on the best way to build something to hide the cistern?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mnczma 

If you're thinking about building a cover around your existing cistern, I propose looking at ordinary plywood, it's easy to cut into shape and will structurally support itself. However, one of the issues I foresee with building a cover for your cistern is access when you need to repair it. 

Another problem I've seen with this particular build is the toilet seat won't stay upright as the cistern cover has eaten up the space where the toilet seat would need to lean into. It's not that it can't be done, but it creates a host of issues that's difficult to address. Such as the need to make a cut out at the top of the cistern cover so that you can access the flush buttons.  

As I've mentioned in my response earlier, it would be better to invest in a proper toilet suite with a dedicated hidden cistern. If you decide to use this type of toilet suite you can use 70x35 untreated non-structural timber to create the frame for your cover. You can then cover it with plywood or plaster board.

If you need further assistance, please let me know,

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mnczma
Getting Established

Thanks Eric.  

That makes a lot of sense.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects