Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove cavity sliding door?

Newbie2k23
Cultivating a Following

How to remove cavity sliding door?

Hello everyone, I need some help. Is there a way to remove a cavity sliding door? And replace it with just a regular wall. I'm thinking of changing it to a barn door in the future. The other side of the wall is still open. I think it better to do it now before the plasterer comes and puts the villaboard in 2 weeks. Or leave it, and when I decide to change it to a barn door they dont need to open the wall? Thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cavity sliding door

Hello @Newbie2k23 

Thanks for sharing your question about your cavity sliding door frame. I suggest engaging the services of your builder to remove the cavity sliding frame and restoring it to a standard stud wall. I also recommend asking your builder to change the cavity door frame to a standard door frame. This would be the best time to do it while the gib board has not been installed yet.

If you are considering installing a barn door in the future, this would also be the best time to ask your builder to install supporting timber studs above the frame of the door so that you'll have anchor points for the sliding rail of the barn door.

Once the timber framing has been rectified and the door frame has been replaced your gib installer and plasterer can begin their work. It sounds like a fantastic project, would it be possible for you to post a few photos of the project? I'm sure our members would be keen to see what you're working on.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides: 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects