Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add laundry benchtop in a rental?

sareh
Cultivating a Following

How to add laundry benchtop in a rental?

I am in a rental so limited to what I can do. I have a small laundry and wanted to add a bench too. Is there anyway that I can fit a bench top without drilling. I am sure that if I get a bench top and sit it on top of the washing machine it will probably slide down the broom cabinet side. How can I make this a bit more functional bearing in mind it is a rental and would want to dismantle it once leaving the property. 

5e3d56b7-e557-4209-bc9a-639c120937ca.jpeg

e16a2a7e-42b5-41c5-80bc-affb7c191a97.jpeg

bd12c0fe-2610-4bff-97bc-7acf872c27b4.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to add laundry benchtop in a rental?

Good Afternoon @sareh 

Welcome to the Bunnings community page :smile: Its a great place for ideas I think.

Benches in a laundy are definenty needed and so easy. I kicked myself after I put one in as I had struggled for a few years without it.

For you I would meausure the width from your sink to the wall on the far right. Subtract your washing machine plus say 40mm. That is the space you have for uying some flatpax cupboards you could use.

So standing looking at the space. 

Left is the sink then 

300mm flatpax Utility cupboard 

Then washing machine

And depending on how much space you have between the washing machine and tall cabinet (Is that yours or was it in the laundry to start with?) maybe another of the Utility cupboards.

Then on top you can have something like this. 2200*600*26mm Practa benchtop 

Bunnings cuts timber to size if you are worried about the length of the benchtop and getting it home. :smile: 

One last measurement to consider is the height of the washing machine. If the utility cupbards are too short then the feet could be raised a little or some timber on top of the utility cupboards before the benchtop is laid across. Making sure you screw upwards from the utility cupbooards into the underside of the bench to stop it tipping.

You would need to drill three holes at the back of the benchtop for water and power.

Hope some of the ideas may help :smile:

Looking forward to seeing what you build.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sareh. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a laundry bench in a rental.

It's great to see you've already received some helpful advice from the knowledgeable @Dave-1.

I'm in a rental and have the same situation. I picked up a longer length of benchtop and cut it to length. The excess was used to hold up the end of the bench. I used small angle brackets to connect the two pieces. I previously had a dryer under mine next to the washing tub to hold up the other end. I've since moved the dryer and attached the bench to the sink tub. The house I'm in will likely be demolished after I leave, so I wasn't too concerned about attaching it to the tub. Here's a rendering I made to illustrate and a picture of my bench. Sorry about the mess.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sareh
Cultivating a Following

Thank you. That seems simple enough. 

sareh
Cultivating a Following

Thanks. I like this idea because the. I can use underneath as a station for the robot vacuum. 

sareh
Cultivating a Following

@MitchellMc I am really excited to try this was going to go with @Dave-1 idea but thought this may be a lot simpler and i wont have to move the washing maching.  I went and bought a piece of pine plywood (recommended by the guy at bunnings) and have bought the brackets also.  Have to now go to another Bunnings and buy another piece of plywood as the store i went to their cutting machine was down.  Can not wait to get started.  Have some Cabots sealer at home.  Does it have to be the benchtop one or can i use the one i already have ( i have a gloss and a satin in my garage). 

For me i think the most daunting thing is the measuring, so worried i will get it wrong, the guy at Bunnings was a gun but i am still so scared i have my measurements wrong and was measuring over and over... I even put the big piece of plywood on the washer and measured from that so i can make sure i get the side panel right..... i guess time will tell.

Wow Mitchell that looks great! 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @sareh 

:smile: hahahah Want to know how many time I have seen something better then what was in my head on here, heaps :smile: 

Id go with what you have already, its only a small area that you want to cover so why not. (you can always flip the timber over if you want to change a colour :smile:

Can feel your excitment about the project! 

Cant wait to see a photo or two :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sareh 

Just remember when measuring the space you have to allow for a little bit of leeway. In this manner, you won't have to worry about the benchtop being too tight to fit into the space. If you look carefully at the benchtop render, you'll see that the secondary piece of timber sits under the main benchtop. 

Therefore, the space you have for the top will not be affected by the timber you'll be attaching to the side. However, it's important that you have the correct height for the secondary piece of timber which is the leg.

One method you can use is to get some really thick cardboard and cut it to size. This will give you a nice template to use and give you a better idea of what the benchtop will look like once installed.

In regards to the sealer, it should be sufficient to cover the timber, please make sure to cover the entire area to prevent moisture damage.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when you start painting the benchtop. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sareh
Cultivating a Following

Thank you guys I have cut the timber and just place it and I think it looks ok. Now to seal and put the brackets on. Here’s what it looks like raw and not assembled. I could t bring it out to the washing machine as it would have take up way too much space. It is very narrow as it is. 

IMG_0341.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects