Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can i close a gap betwen villa board and my bath tub?

Steph_88
Just Starting Out

How can i close a gap betwen villa board and my bath tub?

IMG_4615.jpeg

IMG_4614.jpeg

Hi all 

Help please! I have just noticed that the gyprocker has left a small gap between my bath tub and the villa board which I am concerned about when it comes to waterproofing. 

I know that ideally, he should have sheeted into the bath lip although, is there anything that I can do here to fix this? I need to sort this out in time for waterproofing this week so hoping there’s a simple fix! 

Thank you

Steph 

woodenwookie
Making a Splash

Re: How can i close a gap betwen villa board and my bath tub?

Silicon sealer is the best bet but given the size of that gap it’s going to need to be done in layers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can i close a gap betwen villa board and my bath tub?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Steph_88. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about bathroom waterproofing.

Was the bath put in before or after the walls were sheeted? Typically, the sheets should be installed, the bathroom waterproofed, and then the bath installed. The joint between the bath and wall is not for waterproofing; it is a bead of silicone designed to help stop water creeping behind the bath edge. Waterproofing of the bathroom is an entirely different step. If these sheets only come down to the top of the bath, I have concerns about what's behind the bath and if waterproofing has been done under the bath. If exposed timber stud work is behind the bath, then I believe this installation should be reaccessed, as I don't believe that's an appropriate installation process.

Provided the sheets extend to the bottom of the wall and the area has been waterproofed appropriately, you can then caulk silicone along the gap to infill the area. However, this is purely cosmetic, and you can not establish a waterproof line at this point. I suggest you speak with your waterproofer and send them these images to ask if they can waterproof that area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects