Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove old tap spindle that is cemented to the wall?

Jinman
Finding My Feet

How to remove old tap spindle that is cemented to the wall?

Hi, as in the picture, the spindle is cemented to the wall... do I need to crack it and if so, would it be safe structurally?

Many thanks!

20230819_064820.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to remove old tap spindle that is cemented to the wall?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Jinman. We're delighted to have you join us and look forward to assisting you with your D.I.Y. home improvement and garden projects. 

Thanks for your question. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon and will be happy to assist you.

In the meantime, let me also tag our knowledgeable Workshop members @JoeAzza@MikeTNZ, and @Jewelleryrescue to see what suggestions they can offer.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jinman 

Thanks for sharing your question regarding your tap spindle. Due to the excess tile adhesive that has overflowed to your spindle, I'm afraid that any attempt to chip the cement will damage your wall tile. It will require you to use a chisel and a hammer to crack the cement and remove it. However, excessive force will radiate from the point of impact causing damage to your tiles.

Before you begin, I suggest looking for a similar tile first so that you have a replacement piece you can use to repair the wall should it get damaged. 

If you are feeling unsure regarding the repair, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber. In this manner the repair will be under warranty, and it covers you for insurance should anything happen.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your advice - carefully chipped / scrapped around the edges and then got the spindle out!  Got new spindles (thanks to another Bunnings staff in helping find the right one) and all is well 😀 

This forum has been super helpful. Thanks again.

20231119_173128.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for updating us on your success @Jinman. Please reach out anytime you need assistance with a project around the home or garden; we're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects