Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Country coastal laundry makeover

EleventhCoastal
Making a Splash

Country coastal laundry makeover

This project brief was to turn a boring laundry that was becoming a dumping ground into a stunning Country Coastal space where I’m keen to spend hours in.

This is the before 

BC941EF0-2EC9-48B3-AE72-9BF650A061E6.jpeg

Materials

• VJ Panel from Easy Craft
  • Carinya Brackets 
  • Pinnacle Black Screws
  • Timber Shelves
  • Door Knobs - Kmart  

Tools

• Ryobi Orbital Sander
  • Ryobi Drop Saw
  • Ryobi Jigsaw
  • DeWalt Brushless Drills

Steps

Step 1

I chose what paint colour to go by doing sample patches of my three choices.  I decided to go Dulux Dinosaur 

I then removed the old shelves and all the items on the bench to bring me back to a blank canvas.

I then wiped over the wall with some Sugar Soap Wipes and proceeded to do two coats of paint with a day between each layer.

EA629785-4687-404E-A5DC-A962293B8A07.jpeg

I only painted this far down as the rest of the space would be covered.

E46A7CE3-4860-4481-BF05-E9AA7A0BBC39.jpeg

Step 2

I then cut the timber that I was going to use down to size, to do this I used my drop saw, I made the left side slightly long than the right so that the gap in my timber would reflect the size of the sink.  After cutting the timber down I painted it along with the VJ Panel that I had.

361B37CD-A36D-4783-92DF-04D9CE11DBAD.jpeg

I wanted hooks on the painted timber but not conventional hooks so I used black door knobs from Kmart for that, I installed them by measuring the centre of the timber and then pre drilling and doing a counter drill with a slightly bigger drill bit so they sat flush at the back of the timber.

D42F01E6-3938-4AF9-8F42-B1C3928611AB.jpeg

Step 3

I then cut down to size the timber that I was going to use for the shelves, I cut it to size using my drop saw and then used my jig saw to cut the round corner edges.  My template for the round edge was a lid from my laundry powder jar.

C9DB50E1-8623-48C0-8D91-CBF4E580ED76.jpeg

I used Carinya Deco brackets to secure the shelves in with Pinnacle black head counter sink screws.

04F7AD34-4E7C-4923-86FD-E222ABB04D57.jpeg

For this process I would Pre drill a smaller hole than the screw and then drill the screw in.

Step 4

Next up was installing all the shelves, the side shelves required a plugs to be installed first because I was going straight into the plaster.

I used plan brackets for these shelves so the Deco ones popped on the green wall.

F71A6D32-6257-4B60-AE26-0A94AD4BEE95.jpeg

Step 5

Next up was cleaning the mess, putting everything away and styling. The Laundry is where my husband and sons shave so I made this quirky sign to give the shelves a fun side.

9344DC57-0558-4E91-9985-D2982D0D0086.jpeg

I added the canvas art that I had also painted to bring in sone bright colours that matched the poppies that I styled with.

94E4E087-A874-43F2-B904-3291F8770C77.jpeg

I only added one shelf on the left side because that would house the washing detergent but wanted to add two smaller shelves on the right to house the shavers and some decor.

333EAE51-5C19-4BE1-BDDA-FF8E2F664C7B.jpeg

Kirsty P
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Country coastal laundry makeover

Hello @EleventhCoastal,

You've definitely nailed the brief - your country coastal laundry is stunning and a terrific blend of style and function! So many little details and ideas in your laundry makeover that are noteworthy. Using the lid from your laundry powder jar as a template for cutting round edges on your shelves is a great example. Wonderful work. 

I'm sure many members would be inspired by your project and wanting to refresh their own laundries. If you could offer one piece of advice for someone renovating their laundry, what would it be?

Congratulations once again. It's a pleasure having you in our community.

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Afternoon @EleventhCoastal 

As @Akanksha said you have nailed the brief! 

It really feels like an area that would be nice to be spending time in. I do like the hooks that you have used and the way you have blended them into the VJ paneling! 

One question tho... Where is all my laundry junk stuff supposed to go! lol I have too much stuff and no way I would have the nice shelves empty, Id blink and they would be filled with stuff I dont need! 

Green really seems to be hitting the spot. Its soothing and earthy at the same time.

Nice work in lifting the laundry out of the whites :smile:

Dave

Hi Akanksha,

Thank you so very much for your beautiful words, I’m honestly so proud that my vision turned out.  

If I had one piece of advice it would be to make it functional for your home, having a husband and two adults sons I wanted this space to include The Shaving Station so that the bathrooms remain clear of whiskers!

My advice - draw several different designs and work out why each would or wouldn’t work for your space and then put all the right options together 

Kirsty P
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Ohhhhhh yeah !!!! WOW !!!! Absolutely love this @EleventhCoastal 

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your kind words, truly appreciate the compliment.

I had a giggle about your comment with the junk because let me just say the first attempt at styling was covered, our junk is currently stashed in the cupboard underneath.. I’m going to sort through it all this weekend and probably throw out a lot of items but organise the rest into containers. 

I’m loving how amazing the black and timber both pop against the Dulux Dinosaur

green, so happy my idea worked.

Thanks again 

Kirsty P

Thank you so very much for your awesome compliment, it really does mean heaps.

Cheers

Kirst

Kirsty P

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects