Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you vent toilet extractor fan into wall cavity?

ClaudeIsMyDog
Just Starting Out

Can you vent toilet extractor fan into wall cavity?

I'm getting a contractor to install a shadow line ceiling to cover up some exposed plumbing. Other half would like to relocate the existing window mounted extractor into the new ceiling.

The building is double brick, and this is a downstairs toilet (no shower or hot water tap so shouldn't be humid). I'm trying to work out if I need to run a vent all the way through the wall, or if I can just vent the "smells" into the cavity.

16862712053653303932962554870107.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you vent toilet extractor fan into wall cavity?

Hello @ClaudeIsMyDog 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your air extractor.

It would be advisable to run a vent through the double brick wall to prevent condensation from settling in, if left unvented this will lead to moss and mould infestation inside your wall. 

I propose having a look at the Pacific Air Vent Kits and the Deflecto Venting Kit and see which one is compatible with your exhaust fan.

Just in case your fan is not rated for horizontal applications, I recommend having a look at the IXL 200mm Ducted Ventflo Ceiling Exhaust Fan. The Ducted Ventflo Ceiling Exhaust Fan is designed to fit a ceiling cavity with a minimum height of 210mm, and has a 125mm diameter duct outlet.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects