Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Whole home low budget slow refresh

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

Whole home low budget slow refresh

Home Sweet Home!Home Sweet Home!So I'm about to take on a little cottage in the middle of nowhere to be near family, and I'm beside myself with excitement about all the stuff we can do to freshen her up. I've never done any reno stuff before, but a lick of paint is always a great place to start. Bunnings, here I come!

P.S. I'm still trying to work out how to add an image to this post!

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

Repair and Regrow Grass After Septic Excavation

Hi All,

I've recently had a septic system installed, and have been left with a kind of moon scape backyard from all the excavation. It used to be a lovely lawn, and I'm wondering if there is a spray on lawn seed available to replant and regrow the grass over the exposed bare dirt?

Thanks,

Jason

This is just one bare patch, I have others!This is just one bare patch, I have others!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Repair and Regrow Grass After Septic Excavation

Afternoon @BoeingFan 

If you find soem I would love to know as well :smile: My golf grass (seeded) lasted until the first hint of summer then gonesky. Can you maybe out make use of part of it as a pathway and garden bed that berm ? or heap up the clay for another berm and find some resonable top soil to replace it?

Nice septic system btw :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @BoeingFan 

The sceptic tank looks good. Before you start seeding the area my only suggestion is to try and level the area first so that you don't have high hills and accidental dips that will make lawn mowing difficult. I also suggest removing rocks and debris that will get in the way of seeding. 

The general method is to prepare the area by levelling it and adding fertilizer if necessary. The next step is to seed the area and then top dress the surface and put a wetting agent to promote growth.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration:  How to give your garden a makeover by @Adam_W 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to grow grass from seed.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Backyard golf putting green by @homeinmelbourne. It's a fantastic example of what you can do with a large lawn area.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@EricL Thank you so much for your detailed response, I will get some stuff together and get into it given that spring is on our doorstep. 

Cheers,

Jason

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

Kitchen Update

Howdy all.

A little update on how the cottage is coming along.

We've parked the tradies for a while now because funds ran out, so there won't be as much major stuff going on with my limited ability. Nonetheless, here is a before and after pic of the kitchen; like the rest of the house it is a work in progress but it's coming along nicely. Since we had the double glass doors put in with the little eastern deck, it has made it so much brighter and airier.

The solid timber dining table was picked up on a marketplace by a friend for fifty bucks; it was originally dark brown so I sanded it back lightly and painted it white. I'm unsure if the paint I used is the right one to use but it looks great so it will do the job for now.

The only running water I have in the kitchen is still via a hose through a hole in the wall, which is also how the dishwasher gets its supply (thanks to @EricL for walking me through those steps about a year ago!). The sink is sitting in place but not connected, so for now I'm using a bucket underneath in case I forget it's not connected and pour something down the sink, and one up top. I empty both of these onto the back lawn each morning which also helps the grass in this heat.

Cheers,

Jason

BeforeBeforeCurrentCurrent

Re: Whole home low budget slow refresh

That's some great progress @BoeingFan! Love what you've done with the table.

Those double glass doors are just fab and I'm sure they've really opened up the house for you.

Many thanks for sharing the update.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much @MitchellMc , she’s pretty rough and it’s simple that’s for sure, but we’re getting there. 

Across in the bedroom, the western wall cops the direct sun from noon right through to sundown, so I finally got around to tackling it with some insulation. I've been watching and learning from the builder, so had a go myself at the bottom Gyprock panel, and yes it is technically on the wall hahahaha. Sadly what I didn't realise before I nailed it up is that there is no stud for the far left hand side to be nailed to, so the builder is going to work something out. For the top panel, I was thinking I might just screw a stud onto the corner one so that I will have something to nail the Gyprock to. Anyway, the key component in this job was installing the insulation, which is done; R2.5 Earthwool. Fingers crossed it makes a difference, and I will eventually get around to doing the other external wall and putting some in the roof to boot.

Cheers,

Jason

Old masonite wall.Old masonite wall.Wall be gone. Look at those studs!Wall be gone. Look at those studs!Heat be banished!Heat be banished!Bottom Gyprock is up.Bottom Gyprock is up.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @BoeingFan 

"Heat be banished" :smile: Love it! Does it feel cooler in there? :smile:

I like the small decking and the droorway to the kitchen/dinining area, it certainly brings the room to life. Love the stained glass window where the fireplace use to be!

Do you ever wonder what to do after you get parts completed? I often wonder if I will run out of things to do and then start listing things... That list never seems to shrink tho!

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects