Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which plants make the best gifts?

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Which plants make the best gifts?

Whether it's for Christmas or a housewarming, plants can make for wonderful gifts. I've already received a couple of succulents this festive season, probably because everyone knows my love for low-maintenance plants. 

But choosing a plant to gift can be challenging - especially if you don't know the conditions it will be grown in. 

What's your go-to plant gift? And do you have any tips to share when it comes to deciding which plant to gift? Let's share some green-thumb wisdom. 

@Noelle, @mich1972, @ChloeThomson - any suggestions to kick us off?

Thanks in advance, 
Akanksha

Ideal plants for gifting.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Which plants make the best gifts?

Hard to go past the glossy dark green leaves and white spathes of the Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum)!  Always popular as an indoor plant Australia-wide, Peace Lily will also do OK outside in subtropical and tropical areas too, in a pot on a veranda or balcony. It's a good performer throughout the year.

1ce9be4d-df57-4b10-b944-973c02a299cd.jpeg

Peace Lily isn't demanding but does respond to regular feeding and watering - there's a great growing guide here if you want to know more!

For great festive season indoor or outdoor colour, you can't go past a brilliant red poinsettia. Treated mostly as seasonal colour in cooler climates, it can be transferred to the garden in warmer regions once the holiday season is over.

fb7ba9b8-e896-4cc5-b661-278da30ad112.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Love all those suggestions! Thanks for sharing, @Noelle.

I can't take my eyes off that brilliant red poinsettia. So stunning and a great way to add festive colour indoors and outdoors. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

They're in-store now in abundance 😍

Herrenovacation
Having an Impact

I'm planning to make kokedama's for a few family members this year. My nan likes succulents & my sister kills plants easily so I will make one with a string of pearls for each of them and my mum loves indoor plants so going to make one for her with a fern or ivy. 

I also once bought my mum a Gardenia as it is her favourite flower so I think something more personal makes it a great gift. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects