Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What varnish to use for coasters?

Kutabay
Just Starting Out

What varnish to use for coasters?

Hi all

I'm wanting the best heat resistant varnish/sealer for coasters, which will not be left tacky

20231121_132304.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What varnish to use for coasters?

Hello @Kutabay 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about what varnish to use for coasters.

Before I make any recommendations, can you please tell me what is on top of the coasters? Is it paint printed onto paper and glued onto timber or is it paint directly printed onto timber? What kind of paint did you use on the surface? Once you tell us how the coasters were painted, we'll be able to make recommendations on what varnish or sealer to use.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kutabay
Just Starting Out

It has mod podge napkins on wood

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kutabay 

Thanks for that bit of information. It's likely that the Mod Podge has penetrated the napkin and formed a seal around it. According to various craft sites, its necessary to let the Mod Podge cure for at least four weeks before sealing it with an acrylic sealer. The only acrylic sealer I'm aware of at the store is the White Knight 310g Crystal Clear Acrylic Clear Gloss. I don't recommend using any other varnish sealers as they are not compatible with Mod Podge.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects