Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint to use on MDF stairs?

Katze
Just Starting Out

What paint to use on MDF stairs?

Hi! I hate carpet on stairs. With 4 cats it is a nightmare to keep clean.

I have inspected them and they seem to be MDF, I am planning on removing carpet and painting them white and black.

Now the white risers are easy enough I will probably just match them to the trim. However I dont know what to use for the black, what sort of paint should be used?

Tips for making it non slip? (I might just use a non slip tape or something.

Thanks!

(If anyone has done similar and can post pics that would be fab, google just has solid wood ones that are stained)

16659531300618085506722464303845.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What paint to use on MDF stairs?

Hello @Katze

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your stairs.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - D.I.Y. internal stairs using MDF by @Clint_hayward. Preparation is the key to a successful paint job whether you are painting walls or stairs. Removing leftover adhesive, filling in staple holes and sanding the MDF to a fine finish will provide you with an ideal surface to paint. 

You'll notice in the discussion that they actually used Dulux interior paint, but used Cabot's 1L Cabothane Clear Gloss CFP Floor Polyurethane mixed with Cabot's 250ml Clear CFP Hardener to provide a tough surface finish. if you are after a good grip on your stair step, I suggest looking at Safety & Anti Slip Tape. They come in different colours and a variety of finishes. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Katze
Just Starting Out

Thanks for the info, I was a bit unsure as theu boys at work say MDF will not get a good paint finnish as it gets "furry"

I was hoping others had luck doing it

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Katze

That's true that MDF will go furry if sanded too roughly. Your objective is to skim the surface to get it nice and flat. Putting on a paint primer will help in preparing the surface of the MDF. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your stairs painted and ready for use.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Adamanz10
Getting Established

Are you able to reactivate the link D.I.Y. internal stairs using MDF by @Clint_hayward. It seems to be archived. We are looking to do the same thing with our stairs

Adamanz10
Getting Established

Did your stairs work?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Adamanz10. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting MDF stairs.

Unfortunately, we decided to archive that discussion as it contained a fair bit of information that differed from the manufacturer's directions. We removed it to ensure our members have the most correct and up-to-date information and not cause confusion.

We're happy to help you with your project. Feel free to ask questions here or start a new discussion so our knowledgeable members can provide guidance.

Let me tag @Katze to see if they can share their results.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

PeterB
Getting Established

It's a pity the discussion stopped there.  I am about to paint internal MDF stairs a white satin.  Have been looking at road marking paint.   Then a clear nonslip finish.  Would like your views pls.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @PeterB 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about painting your MDF stairs.

Have you considered covering the surface of the MDF stairs with 1200 x 810mm 3mm Plywood Pine Premium BC Grade. Having this panel on top of the MDF stairs will allow you to stain and paint without having to worry about the effect on MDF materials.

What brand of satin white were you thinking of using? If you are thinking of painting the plywood steps white, I suggest having a look at the Cabot's 4L White Timbercolour Deck And Exterior Paint. It is a premium, self-priming, oil enriched acrylic paint. It has been specifically formulated to provide exceptional durability to all exterior timber surfaces and decks. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

PeterB
Getting Established

Thanks for the response Eric.  The CEO of decoration in our house has decided on white tread and a riser that matches the floor downstairs which is blackbutt  So the white has to be a solid white with a non-slip finish on the top.  I dont have a brand in mind yet. But the paint would need to withstand light traffic.

Peter

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects