Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should damaged bricks be patched or replaced?

Sebastian90
Growing in Experience

Should damaged bricks be patched or replaced?

Howdy,

I’m just looking at the possibility of replacing some bricks at my mum's house. They sit in a line where a former deck was anchored to the back of the house. As I'm planning on building a new deck, I'm wondering if I should replace these (as I'll eventually be drilling into this area again) or just patch the existing bricks. Would you have any thoughts? Please note, the colour does not matter is the bricks are eventually going to be painted and hidden. 

Thank you,

Sebastian

20240123_180503.jpg20240123_180513.jpg20240123_180521.jpg20240123_180525.jpg20240123_180538.jpg

Re: Should damaged bricks be patched or replaced?

Hi @Sebastian90,

Either of those products would be suitable, with the Watercrete being the stronger of the two. Strength really isn't an issue, as you won't be drilling into the same brick. 

For the fixings, I'd touch them up with some rust converter. That should halt the corrosion process. Once you've filled over them and painted them, that will seal moisture out, which is the catalyst for corrosion.

On a side note, a word of warning with connecting decks to brick walls: If this is a single brick veneer building, it is not a suitable mounting point and does not comply with building codes. Brick veneer is not designed or allowed by building codes to support anything other than the weight of the bricks above. You might like to check out this discussion: Where to find spacers for a deck ledger board?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects