Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recycled CDs used as window screen

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Recycled CDs used as window screen

My foyer gets warm during summer and very cool in winter. I have wanted to have a curtain or something to block the view and retain the warmth or reflect heat for years. I deal with ewaste at work and one of the things I have a lot of is old cd/dvd's 

I really wanted to reuse these instead of destroying them and sending them to landfill.

This was an experiment to see if there was a noticeable difference in temperature from before to after. There was a large difference.

Materials

CD/DVDs a lot of

Paperclips 50mm size

19mm *8mm length of timber

Old curtain hooks

Tools

Hand saw

Drill

Hands

Steps

Step 1

As this was only a narrow opening I screw two large cuphooks into the top of the inside of the window frame. Then measured the distance between the studs and subtracted 10mm for any sideways movement. I unfolded the paperclips to form a giant double hook and then it was a matter of stitching them horizontally and vertically to make a blanket type deal.

01 27-01-2022.jpg

I figured that two cup hooks would hold the discs tho they are only single sided.

02 27-01-2022.jpg

Stitching them together

03 27-01-2022.jpg

They really start blocking the sunlight. There is also frosted glass for the bit between the door and wall.

04 27-01-2022.jpg05 27-01-2022.jpg

With the light on. (Its not a strong light)

Step 2

The CD/DVD's are only single sided for this project. I wanted the black on the back to be inside to provide a uniformity and the silver to reflect the sun as much as possible.

06 27-01-2022.jpg

Showing how the paperclip is unfolded and how to stitch the discs together, I only stitched every 3rd row horizontally.

07 27-01-2022.jpg08 27-01-2022.jpg

I used an elastic band between two thumbtacks to stop the discs "shuffling about" when the door is open/closed. I will replace this with string or fishing line.

09 27-01-2022.jpg

From outside looking in, excuse the paintwork (it is on the list) but really gives a lot more privacy and stops the heat entering the foyer in summer.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Insulation ideas

Hi @Dave-1 

Thanks for sharing that fantastic idea, I was wondering how your paper clip system worked, that is quite impressive. The best part I like is that it can be removed should the need arise. The frosted glass really adds a nice effect to the CD's.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Insulation ideas

Sorry @EricL 

I didnt realise that you had a question. 

Re - The paperclip work

I pretty much bent the paper clip straight on the bend furthererst from the ends of the metal. Fluked out that the distance works so well between the discs. I then would slot the expanded paper clip throug the center hole of the disk and slide it back so half is one side and half the other. I will see if I can take a photo tonight to show the process.

The paper clip should look like this

(________)

with the top part of the long oval coming back a third. (def will take a photo or two to show :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects