Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mid-century modern light shade restoration

Herrenovacation
Having an Impact

Mid-century modern light shade restoration

Tell me you watch restoration shows without telling me you watch restoration shows.

This mid century modern light shade was on my front patio which I've recently started preparing for a renovation. When I bought the house I didn't think much of the light shade and had considered replacing it. 

When I took it down the other week I realised there was not a single thing wrong with it apart from it being filthy. 

Made me so happy seeing it come back to life but really sad knowing I may have, and most others would have thrown it away.

These pieces are irreplaceable, unique and make old homes what they are .

Please think about this before you rip everything out and throw it in a skip bin or paint it white.  

Steps

Step 1

Once the light shade was removed I carefully took it apart and gave all pieces a light wash in warm soapy water then carefully dried off. 

1000017678.jpg

Step 2

Brass: 

I mixed half water and half vinegar in a bucket and added all the brass pieces to soak. Depending on the condition you may need to soak for 1-3 days.

After a good soaking give all the brass a scrub with steel wool soap pads and rinse off. Repeat if needed. 

Then using a lint free cloth polish the brass with brasso. 

Step 3

Timber:

I gave the timber pieces a very light sand and then used a rag to apply the timber oil. 

Step 4

Glass:

Using a lint free cloth polish the glass with glass cleaner. 

Step 5

Once everything was clean I put the light shade back together, I haven't re installed it yet as I am waiting to complete some other work first but will provide an update in the comments once I do. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mid-century modern light shade restoration

Hi @Herrenovacation 

That is a beautiful restoration, you've done an amazing job with the brass top cover. The timber trim has come up so well. I can't wait to see it installed and in position.

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful restoration project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects