Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Leather lounge repair job

Kanga42
Getting Established

Leather lounge repair job

Hi

My first request on WS. I have just bought a really nice leather lounge for a steal on "Treeplace"

It has a small tear in it which is part of the reason for $$$.

I intend to get some all black adhesive tape and feed it through and stick it on from the inside, a bit tricky but easy enough.

The tape will have to be black on adhesive side.

Lighter for scaleLighter for scale

Anyway, perhaps somebody has some experience in this, would love to hear.

Regards

Brian

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Re: Leather lounge repair job

Hello Kanga42, well I thought this was up my alley because I love  super glue. Unfortunately for me you can’t use super glue on leather.So I googled glue for leather. My girlfriend had the same problem so we put our heads together and came up trumps.You first clean it with diluted white vinegar and warm water all around the rip on a damp!! cloth . That was my contribution ,she is a seamstress and said we need some thing for the glue to adhere to under the rip.So I suggested something hard wearing. She had some left over denim so I suggested we cut a large circle or square bigger than the rip shove it under the rip and put the glue on the denim then push the rip together on top of the glued up denim and put some thing on top like a heavy book until it is completely dry.This may sound easy but believe me it took ages to get it right. Because we are girls we were lucky to have tweezers and fine nail sizzors  to cut off any jagged edges on the leather. We took a while mucking around trying to get the leather rip to come together neatly over the denim that had the glue on it. Hours later it looked like new.brenda 🌺

I just checked and I think you would be better off using leather magic. It just seems so much easier than my way b

Debhar
Just Starting Out

Hi, I have the same issue with a very comfortable, old , black, leather couch.

What product did you use to fix your couch and did it last long?

thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Debhar 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

Let me tag @Kanga42 to make sure they see your question. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your leather couch? This will let our team members assess the condition of the damage. We can then make recommendations on what steps to take.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects