Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is there a universal tap washer?

JayKay
Getting Established

Is there a universal tap washer?

I need tap washers changed on all of my taps, both inside and out. Is there such a thing as a universal tap washer? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: tap washers

Hi @JayKay,

It depends on what type of taps you have. Typically, most internal taps take a 13mm tap valve, and external taps take a 15mm tap valve. I do note that some of the internal valves are labelled 12mm, but these should be compatible with anything that takes 13mm, as far as I'm aware.

So, those are the two tap valve sizes, and if your tap uses a valve washer, you could replace them all with the same type. There are variations of these valves for soft turn, anti-hammer, premium, dome etc. But they'll all fit your tap if it takes valves. Another common tap type is a ceramic disc. These are found on newer taps and typically can be identified by the handle only turning a 1/4 - 1/2 rotation, unlike the valve type, which can take a couple of rotations to turn on and off. If the ceramic disc taps are leaking, you need to take the whole spindle into the store and match it up with the correct replacement. No valves can be replaced on these as the ceramic disc taps are designed to last for many years.

If it's a mixer tap, they have a cartridge you need to replace, and a suitable one also needs to matched up with it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JayKay
Getting Established

Re: tap washers

Thank you Mitchell. 
A friend will change them over for me.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects