Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

I'm growing hydroponic tomatoes indoors

Prof
Becoming a Leader

I'm growing hydroponic tomatoes indoors

Last season I started to grow some tomatoes in large pots outside..

They were regularly watered and fertilized and I had a few tomatoes on the plants..

Then we started to get high daily temperatures reaching into the mid 40's.!!!..

Even with the plants sheltered with shade cloth..they all  died..

This was the second time that it had happened..the first being at another location..

I decided I wouldn't try again..and besides at my age it was becoming impracticable to do any further gardening..

Then one day I happened to come across an article about growing tomatoes all year round indoors.!! This perked up my interest again..

I discovered that one could grow tomatoes indoors in a hydroponic system.!!

I liked the idea because you didn't have to worry about bugs and insects getting at your plants..and the containers were at bench top height..so no bending..no watering and you can have tomatoes all year round.!!!

I've always imagined that hydroponics was just for growing Weed, with all sorts pumps and bubblers  with lights everywhere and using lots of electricity.!!

What I discovered is that with simple systems you can grow all sorts of herbs, vegetables and flowers..

There is a system called the Kratky method..It's basically having a container with liquid fertilizer and putting a seedling suspended in the liquid..That's it.!! No pumps or bubblers or expensive lighting..

Looking at you tube video's I found people were even using ice cream containers and large coffee jars to grow tomatoes in.!! Some used what they call in the US Mason jars..

The more sophisticated ones used plastic tanks and grew several plants in them..

I decided to give it a try..The best place I found was in the laundry..It's out of the way and I found that the space between the washing machine and the cupboard was ideal..

In my next post I will describe what I bought for the system and I'll show the little table I made to fit between that space..

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: I'm growing hydroponic tomatoes indoors

Yes I have used their Manutec product..

It worked reasonably well..Good for greens..not so much for flowering and fruiting..

At the moment I'm taking a whole new look at the nutrient situation..

I've discovered that just about all the formulae that's on the internet is way too strong in nitrogen..

Even the so called experts are using calcium nitrate in their formula and that chemicals NPK .is 15-0-0..All nitrogen.!!

I've decided to make my own from scratch.! I've bought the phosphorus and the potassium..and I'll use a commercial NPK mix that is low in nitrogen..

I think is only going to be the only way to get a good balance..

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Prof 

:smile: Definently have learned a lot just by watching your experiments!

Dave

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Thanks Dave..I'm glad I've been able to help you..

Are you currently growing hydroponic vegetables.?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Prof 

Noooo, Always wanted to but never have got around to it. I do have in mind to grow cherry tomatoes in a pvc pipe type deal in a chicken coup that I have built (no chickens lol) as its markedly cooler behind the steel mesh I have used and covered so birds wont say "howdy" if I grow things like strawberries ect. Its on the "list" of things to try one day.... So until then I just watch and learn!

Dave

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Dave ..Something to take into consideration when you think about putting in a system..

If it's outside the system is subject to the following..

1..Seasonal planting..

2..Infestation of all sorts of bugs..

3..Invasion of animals from rats to rabbits..

4..Extreme temperatures..

5..Temperature changes..

6..Strong winds if out in the open..

That's why I decided to have my hydroponics indoors..

If you have the space I would certainly advise it..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects