Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof a balcony wall?

JustinMcAbbe
Cultivating a Following

How to waterproof a balcony wall?

Hello

Please can you provide advise and products to use for Balcony waterproofing? The grout or membrane seems to be leaking.;

thumbnail_Image (1).jpg

thumbnail_Image.jpg

  

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to waterproof a balcony wall?

Hello @JustinMcAbbe,

Sorry to hear about your leaking balcony wall. I'm sure @EricL will be able to assist once he's back online later.

We've had a few discussions on Workshop in the past on related topics. Copying some of them below in case you want to have a look in the meantime. Might contain some useful advice: 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Balcony waterproofing

Hello @JustinMcAbbe

I suggest using CPC 220ml Shower Plug Sealant, it's designed for interior and exterior use, I've used this in my shower a long time ago and it is still working very well. Please keep in mind that this is an overall waterproofing agent and can be applied both on the tile and grout. It's important the area be cleaned and washed very well, all cracked and broken grout must be removed and repaired. Once the area is fully prepared then you can apply the sealant.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

JustinMcAbbe
Cultivating a Following

Thank you very much, I bough all of this and giving it ago my self. 

JustinMcAbbe
Cultivating a Following

Also, do you have any advice on removing the grout and putting new grout, some of the grout looks powdery  

Hi @JustinMcAbbe,

To remove powdery or otherwise damaged grout, you will need to use a  grout saw , or a multitool that includes a diamond grout saw blade for larger areas. 

Here are the steps for removing grout:

• Protect the surrounding tiles by covering them with masking tape or a towel. This will prevent the grout removal tool from scratching or damaging the tiles.

• Use the grout saw or multitool tool to carefully scrape away the damaged grout. Take care not to dig too deeply into the joint, as this could damage the tiles.

• Once all of the damaged grout has been removed, use a damp sponge to wipe away any remaining debris. 

To install new grout, follow these steps:

• Mix the grout according to the manufacturer's instructions. The grout should be the consistency of peanut butter.

• Use a grout float to press the grout into the joints between the tiles. Hold the float at a 45-degree angle to the tiles and work the grout into the joints in a back-and-forth motion.

• Wipe away any excess grout with a damp sponge. Be sure to wring out the sponge well before wiping the joints, as too much water can cause the grout to become too soft.

• Allow the grout to dry for at least 24 hours before using the area.

Here are a couple of helpful step-by-step guides that will assist: How to remove grout and How to grout tiles.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions or need more detailed instructions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects