Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to turn off Grid Connect feature?

KevEngland
Finding My Feet

How to turn off Grid Connect feature?

Hi. Is there a way to simply turn off the grid connect feature on an Arlec grid connect light? Mine is positioned outside of wifi cover, so I'd like to just turn that "smart" feature off and simply just use a regular switch. There must be a way, right? 🤞😜

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: turn off grid connect feature

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @KevEngland. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Grid Connect products.

I presume you are having issues using the product as a normal light. Would you be able to go into more detail as to what they are? Is the lack of WiFi coverage causing the light not to function? If you can provide more details of the product, and perhaps link us to the model, then our helpful members, such as @CSParnell, should be able to offer some insight. Grid Connect can also be contacted directly to troubleshoot any issues you're experiencing.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@KevEngland Hey mate,

Unfortunately these devices are built to be a smart device, disconnecting them from the Wifi network will only but them back into pairing mode and they either flash or pulse.

Best advice is swap 1 light/bulb out for a regular one. 

Be aware though if there are other smart lights on the same circuit and you are continually switching them off and on you could put other smart lights into pairing mode.

Another option is to get a Wifi extender and place it near the light that is out of range that way you push the wifi signal through to where it needs it.

To give you an idea I run 80+ smart devices at home and I've had to install x4 TP-Link DECO Mesh poles around the house and Man Shed just to get an even spread of coverage and run the Smart System on its own Network. 

I hope that helps some and anymore questions or concerns please let me know or if you find out something different please let us all know I'm not always across all updates.

KevEngland
Finding My Feet

Re: How to turn off Grid Connect feature?

Thanks guys.

Once again, smart devices aren't smart at all!

Time to buy a dumb one!

Cheers, K.

Hi Guys,

I agree, I'd like to be able to use this device as a regular on and off light.

I think a good design would have a simple hardware switch to disable the smart feature. 

I presume this is just an early implementation of this kind of technology and when it has matured a bit more, other use cases will be taken into consideration.

For now I will have to reluctantly give Alec a negative review.

Cheers, John 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @john_jacobs.

If you'd like to share a little more information on what you'd like to achieve, perhaps our helpful members will be able to provide suggestions. Do you wish to have the option to use the light as both a smart device and as a standard globe, or just as a standard globe full-time?

As @CSParnell has mentioned, these devices are designed as a smart device. If they did have the functionality you're looking for, disconnecting them from a Wifi network would require re-pairing with your network every time they were placed back into smart mode. This would be a little more complicated than just utilising a simple hardware switch.

Please let me know if you have any questions and if you'd like to, the team at Grid Connect are always happy to receive feedback on their products.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc not only that they will he looking for the wifi connection and will be flashing or pulsing whilst looking for it. 

If you want a smart device buy a smart device, if you want a regular dumb device buy a regular dumb device.

All the manufacturers are under no obligation to have a feature to turn their smart devices off into a dumb device it defeats their purpose and probably their capability statement. 

Smart devices are made to automate your life and the way you interact with your surroundings you need to understand how they work, how they function, how you can program to make your life like how could you live with out that automation. Else to that use dumb regular devices. 

Hi @john_jacobs ,

please don't give Arlec a bad review for making a product that does what it is designed to do. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects