Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop water seeping through brick wall?

caxelby
Getting Established

How to stop water seeping through brick wall?

Hello, I am looking for advice and product recommendations for how to stop water seeping through my garage brick wall. The exterior wall is single skin brick and after prolonged rain the bricks ‘weep’ with enough water to cause minor pooling on the concrete. I would love to stop this from occurring and also be able to paint the brick on the inside. Unfortunately I do not have access to the outside of the brick wall due to neighbours. Is it possible to solve the issue by applying a product on the inside brick surface in the garage?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Water-proofing exterior single skin brick

Hi @caxelby,

You could apply Crommelin 2L Dampstop to the inside of the wall as it's one of the only products that can be applied on the inside; most waterproofers need to be applied to the outside of the wall. Once this product has cured, you can paint over it with water-based paint.

Applying a waterproof coating to the inside of the wall is not a great solution to the issue. I understand access might not be possible to the outside of the wall, but water shouldn't be able to enter a brick wall. Typically, a damp coarse line prevents water from entering at the base and travelling up the wall. By applying the waterproofer to the inside of the wall, you are trapping moisture within it, and if the moisture travels up the wall to the top, you could see damage to the roof structure.

Can you physically not access between the two buildings, or is it that your wall is right on the boundary? It's obviously best to ask the neighbours for permission first, but I'd imagine that access to the other property to perform maintenance work on your wall would be permissible by the council. 

When using the Dampstop, ensure good ventilation, avoid breathing vapours and avoid skin and eye contact. Remember your PPE, including gloves and eye protection.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects