Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal gaps between rough-hewn sandstone walls?

Ivy6
Just Starting Out

How to seal gaps between rough-hewn sandstone walls?

IMG_8079.jpeg

 Hi, Bunnings folks,

I have an old house with rough-hewn sandstone walls that was renovated in the early 1980s with some skirting boards, fibro walls etc.

It gets very draughty and cold in winter and I want to see if sealing gaps between skirting boards etc will help, but am not sure what product to use, as the sandstone is uneven and some of the gaps get a bit wide - I’ve included photos for reference.

I’d appreciate any advice you could give.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to seal gaps between rough-hewn sandstone walls?

Hi @Ivy6 

I would   most definatly use " No more gaps"  will fill all the  wall skirting gaps of  varing  gap sizes and it is super easy to  clean  up with a  wet  white  cloth ideally.   Naterally use a  chaulking gun and cut the nozzle at an 45 degree angle at about 6mm diameter hole size,  The  product will help  keep out creppy crawles too,

So any over flows onto the timber can be quickly and easily wiped off and smoothed to rough wall using your finger as it is not too messy.

Do your whole  house while your at  it.   The  no more gaps yellows a  bit with age so no need to paint it .  But it is  paintable.

Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler - 3 Pack

$14.79

That is so helpful! Thank you.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ivy6 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about filling the gaps in your walls.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. I definitely agree on using Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler - 3 Pack as it can fill a gap up to 25mm wide and 12mm deep.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:  How To Silicone Seal A Bath (the technique used is applicable to your project)

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects